ferric nitrate?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

ferric nitrate?

Post by Kathryn »

Hi all
Just started the annual chemical inventory and SDS update and have noticed a discrepancy in ferric nitrate classification. The original container (which is old) and Riskassess class it as DG 5.1 whereas the SDS has it as DG8. It has always been stored with the other oxidisers but now I am not sure what I should do with it???
Any suggestions?
Kathryn :unsure:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: ferric nitrate?

Post by Merilyn1 »

I have mine with the corrosive bases. The SDS from the specific manufacturer is what you should rely on. It wouldn't hurt to send Riskassess an email and point out the conflicting information.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

iron(III) nitrate
ferric nitrate*
7-12
-
-
-
-

Not Hazardous III 1466
10421-48-4 Toxic if ingested.
Skin irritant at high concentrationsUse eye and skin protection when splashes can occur. Forms explosive mixtures with combustible materials or organic compounds.
Disposal: Waste solutions of this chemical may be disposed of down the sink (to sewer).

Q-Stores

See also OXIDANTS. Taken from the online CSIS
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

True Labbie , but Kathryn's not DOE .

Chemsupply ,Merck, sigma aldrich latest SDS's have it as Corrosive .
Older MSDS's have it as Oxidant .

Must have been reassessed at some stage recently .
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

opps, thanks Bigmack
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I think this highlights the problem of CSIS and the sad state of affairs when DoE staff are told to follow it. It is very, very, out of date.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Merilyn1 wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 07:49 I think this highlights the problem of CSIS and the sad state of affairs when DoE staff are told to follow it. It is very, very, out of date.
Absolutely. What will it take for this to be taken seriously? Who will take responsibility?
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I just checked in with Risk Assess, and it is also classed as a 5.1 there.
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Yes Riskassess has it as 5.1 and so does the original container which is why I am reluctant to move it out of Oxidisers.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

If the original container had it as Oxidizer . I'd leave it there
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

bigmack wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:18 If the original container had it as Oxidizer . I'd leave it there
The safety data sheet has the most up to date information. That's why they get updated every five years.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Merilyn1 wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:48
bigmack wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:18 If the original container had it as Oxidizer . I'd leave it there
The safety data sheet has the most up to date information. That's why they get updated every five years.
Well this is where , I'm confused .

Kathryn , what brand is the Ferric nitrate and can you still find an up to date SDS for it or is really old and you are using a Generic SDS ?

I was under the impression that Risk assess got their info from Work Safe who rely on the latest European standards .
So how can the latest SDS's from three big Chem suppliers say one thing when the latest European standards are saying something else ?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

It's possible that they are wrong. Safework says we should rely on the information on the safety data sheet provided by the manufacturer or supplier. So, although Riskassess may be right (but they could be wrong), our legal obligation is to follow the advice from the manufacturer, not from a third party.

If you have a chemical that was produced by a company that no longer exists, Safework would say to dispose of it and buy new chemical. I'm not sure if they would prosecute a school because you were relying on a SDS for a different brand of what is essentially, the same thing. That something for you to decide upon. Of course, if you have a product that is made up of a combination of things, eg a cleaning product, it must be the right manufacturer as each product will be slightly different. A substitute SDS would not be anywhere near acceptable in this situation.

If in doubt, I would contact Riskassess and the supplier to ask for clarification. At the end of the day, we are in a school with relatively small quantities, I wouldn't panic over it until you get a response from these two organisations.

Does this help at all Bigmack?
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Just read the SDS. Implement the GHS. Mine is in 5.1, but I just downloaded a new SDS because of this post and it is reclassified as 8. CHEMSUPPLY May 2020
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

WOW
Regards Labbie