New CSIS is finally here.

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar
State/Location: NSW

Re: New CSIS is finally here.

Post by MariaQ »

Anna Z I have bound print outs of the most commons used chemicals in the classroom, in mini SDS form in each lab for reference during pracs, saves repeated printing out. They may not be recognised but they are the most user friendly option IMO. I have full SDS stored in chem prep area and on my laptop for legal purposes.

Cheers MariaQ :thumbup:
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

MariaQ wrote: 31 May 2021, 10:28 Anna Z I have bound print outs of the most commons used chemicals in the classroom, in mini SDS form in each lab for reference during pracs, saves repeated printing out. They may not be recognised but they are the most user friendly option IMO. I have full SDS stored in chem prep area and on my laptop for legal purposes.

Cheers MariaQ :thumbup:
Cheers we have the same set up, however the mini SDS goes out with the prac on the trolley...we have 12 labs so to hard to have a folder for each... Mini SDS from Chemwatch though....they are bad. I want to move away from Chemwatch. Full folder of comprehensive manufacturers SDS in our Chem Prep room and electronically available in our register.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Watched the webinar.
I guess it may have been helpful to Labbys starting off but I found it to little too late . It was all about DOE saying they were compliant with GHS.

They asked for feedback at the the end .
I gave them a few :D ...but I reckon it falls on deaf ears .

They did allude in the webinar that there might be a phase two update that would revisit chemical ratings . I may have retired by then :cheesy:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

This what I told them
The changes to CSIS regarding GHS was well overdue . While it ticks the boxes as far as the department may be concerned , it doesn't help us science assistants one little bit .We have all been well aware of GHS requirements for several years now and in most cases we have blundered on and done our best to comply .
Chemwatch is a joke .
It is cumbersome , ridiculously slow , glitchy , full of errors and contradictory in many of its GHS ratings compared to those from suppliers we use . A typical search for a chemical on Chemwatch may return dozens of choices each with different GHS assessments .This particularly applies to dilutions. It means we Lab assistants are spend ridiculous amounts of time searching through all the choices and then deciding which one we should use .
It should not be on us to make these decisions .
For this reason most schools are starting to use Riskassess as its simply a matter of plugging in a molarity and solution and the correct GHS is calculated .Alas many of the Riskassess user groups do not reflect DETRA user groups and again the Lab assistant is having to make a choice as to which colour Dot should be used .

Why can't the department have a similar system as Riskassess ? or better still agree that DET schools can use Riskassess with confidence .And even better again , pay for schools to use riskassess and drop the funding to Chemwatch which is a nightmere.
Surely at a bare minimum , a list of all the chemicals we use that has GHS ratings worked out for each range of solution . It is crazy that hundreds of Lab assistants are wasting time all doing the same exercise when one document could be used .
Perhaps if the lot of us all replied , they might start to listen
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I do not think that would work. wish it would.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Well done Bigmack! I agree, if everyone in a DET school did the same thing, you may get heard. It is no point just complaining to each other, you need to complain to the people that can make change. If enough people complain, those in power may just start listening.
CSIS is an out dated joke. I truly feel sorry for any school that is told they MUST rely on CSIS or Chemwatch.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

So true Bigmack!!!!
In an ideal world, this would happen in an instant!
Sadly, I will not be holding my breath for it....
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

bigmack wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 13:40 This what I told them
The changes to CSIS regarding GHS was well overdue . While it ticks the boxes as far as the department may be concerned , it doesn't help us science assistants one little bit .We have all been well aware of GHS requirements for several years now and in most cases we have blundered on and done our best to comply .
Chemwatch is a joke .
It is cumbersome , ridiculously slow , glitchy , full of errors and contradictory in many of its GHS ratings compared to those from suppliers we use . A typical search for a chemical on Chemwatch may return dozens of choices each with different GHS assessments .This particularly applies to dilutions. It means we Lab assistants are spend ridiculous amounts of time searching through all the choices and then deciding which one we should use .
It should not be on us to make these decisions .
For this reason most schools are starting to use Riskassess as its simply a matter of plugging in a molarity and solution and the correct GHS is calculated .Alas many of the Riskassess user groups do not reflect DETRA user groups and again the Lab assistant is having to make a choice as to which colour Dot should be used .

Why can't the department have a similar system as Riskassess ? or better still agree that DET schools can use Riskassess with confidence .And even better again , pay for schools to use riskassess and drop the funding to Chemwatch which is a nightmere.
Surely at a bare minimum , a list of all the chemicals we use that has GHS ratings worked out for each range of solution . It is crazy that hundreds of Lab assistants are wasting time all doing the same exercise when one document could be used .
Perhaps if the lot of us all replied , they might start to listen
Sensational response.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

bigmack - that is a really well-worded response. If I was DET I would absolutely jump on that bandwagon! As Merilyn1 said, you need to all give feedback to the department. It's no use complaining amongst your peers. We have no power to change anything! And you're right melsid, it probably won't change anything, at least not soon (nothing happens "soon"!! Look how long the CSIS update took to come out!) but it might change for future labbies. Hang in there, everyone!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I complained a few years ago. the SAM moved me around, as they do in the DoE. So do be careful people.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh, I think there are ways to effect change without getting people off side. It can be done in a positive manner.
I still say a coordinated approach will be more effective than a couple of lonely people.