How do I describe what I do?

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

How do I describe what I do?

Post by cheltie »

My Manager wants us all to write a step by step guide of what we do each day so someone else can do our job if we are away.
This is probably OK for those working in the office where they do similiar things each day.
She doesn't want a job description but a detailed description of how to do everything. This is supposed to include details on how to set up ALL experiments, how to mix chemicalsand the million other things we do each day. She doesn't want me to just give references for where to look things up.
I think this is going to take forever and is dangerous as well.
Has anyone else had to do this?

Would be interested to know.
Helen
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

How do you know whats going to happen/what experiments are going to be done on a particular day? I mean hopefully if your away they will get someone in who is trained and should know what they are doing.
laurena
State/Location: SA

Absent from work

Post by laurena »

I find that if I should be away for a day, the science teachers would be able to get out their equipment because all equipment is labelled and they are familiar with where I store equipment.

I also try and ask teachers to provide experiments at least a day in front, so that I can have them out and organised for the day they are required.

You could ask your teachers how they feel, if you should be away for a day, as I only feel a problem would occur if you were away for a greater length of time, and then they should get someone qualified.

My staff are fantastic and we assist each other as much as possible, so we keep well organised labs.

laurena
Waikerie High
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Hi there Helen
The task that you have been asked to do is near impossible to put down on paper for someone else to follow. If the other person is not experienced, responsibility lays with your manager to help this person, not yours!!!!! I'm astounded that you were even asked to do this. If the other person is trained then it should'nt be necessary to write down instructions for pracs.as she should know how to prepare them. 8O

Cheers
Mother
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Helen,

We were asked to do this last year.

It was topical for me. I was 'thrown into the deep end of Science' 4 years ago, without any training and have been learning on the job since then! 2 years ago I picked up 2 permanent days at another school, so was job-sharing this position with yet another 'newbie' casual. About that stage I started putting together folders to help anyone else who found themselves put in that situation.

My Role Statement is written with the complete novice in mind.
It starts with the basic description as found in the DET 'Job Skills for school assistants working in Science' Manual, and the Rationale for Equipment Orders drawn up by the HT last year. It also includes a list of the current staff and their Lab/classes, and a description of all the keys on 'my' keyring. Other headings include daily routine; weekly tasks; general work; pracs; shopping/cash; buying/ordering/finances; finding equipment; stores; chemicals; chemwatch; spill kit; etc. This folder runs to about 20 pages.

I've ended up with a lot more folders, but things are much more logical and user-friendly than before!

The next most used folders are the "Where is it?" Equipment (which has a picture and tells you where it's stored, and is cross referenced for all the different names!), and the "Where is it" Chemicals, an alphabetical list of all the chemicals and foodstuffs, and where they are kept, and which also gives the various common names (this is different to the Chemical Register). New assistants, feeling overwhelmed, find these very helpful. Another user-friendly one is the 'Getting it to Work' folder, with photocopies of how-to's, procedures, hints, etc.

While a seemingly huge project, and much was done in my own time, I am now very pleased with the result, and find it even makes my own daily work a lot easier.

A beneficial side-effect has been that the Admin Manager and other staff have much more respect for the job we do in Science, and just how much is involved! Not many of the other SASS have even begun to do theirs, finding the prospect too daunting, so my SAM tends to use me as an example to make them feel better!

Best of Luck with it Helen,

Liz
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi Liz

What a great idea. I too was thrown in the deep end and struggle often to find things, make things, name things (especially physics equipment).

I am going to take a leaf out of your book and do the same as you. I will start today.

Thanks Nicky :idea:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Helen

Having been a casual in various schools over the past 4 years ( I now have a perm position, yeah :D ), the one thing that did make things difficult going into a school,where everyone is busy, and trying to find things :oops: , most of the schools were well set up and it just took a hunt to find equipment, though I did do a block where the lab ass went on leave, and she left a detailed list of ALL equipment, and where to find it, this was very handy, and made it much easier to fit in and do my job. And as Mother said, whoever fills in for you should have some training, I believe this is an OH&S issue. But being able to FIND things, whether it is new stock, extra equipment, physics stuff, etc etc, will make things run more smoothly, and you shouldnt have to come back to a mess.

Good luck with it, it is a big job you have to do :-)

regards Lisa
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I wonder when the department is going to realise that the science area isn't somewhere you can just turn up and start working. They wouldn't let someone loose in the finance area without proper training so why do they expect us to. Mind you I think I could do well with the school cheque book!

I wouldn't like to think that someone had to fill in for me and have to read a manual on how to mix chemicals, sulfuric acid for example.

These days with all the OH&S rules and regulations, I think it is about time they started taking our area seriously.

I will get off my soap box now 8-)
Estelle
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Whoever fills in for you should be trained.
I dont think its appropriate for you to have to make a catalogue of what you do and how you do it, references etc.
A trained technician will already know these basics. If not.....I think that there are serious OH&S issues to consider.
What I do think would be a help, is a list of where the equipment is. Labelled cupboards, and where are the keys kept.

And dont do it your own time. I am sure that management would not expect you to, as you are paid by the hour.
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Can't resist clarifying a few things as regards public schools in NSW.

I have been asking for Science Training for 4 years! Finally am starting a Traineeship, but it's not yet clear whether there will actually be any hands-on modules included.
Also, just recently, a mentoring program has started for school support staff, and have been accepted for that, too. Thankfully, this will be one-on-one, with a very good local experienced Science Assistant.

While I have probably already learnt a lot of what I need to know to do the job well, I still feel there are gaps in my knowledge. Most of all, though, I feel it is so important that we be properly trained, and have the appropriate accreditation.

It is a big OH&S issue. I am on our OH&S Committee, as of last year when I became permanent, seeing it as another opportunity to learn more, and to raise awareness of the many concerns faced in this Faculty in a school of our age and size (7 teachers, 6 labs, 2 Prep Rooms, 6 store-rooms).

I agree with Estelle, and would like to see more recognition for the role of Laboratory Technicians in schools. In 11 years with the Dept. I have worked in every support position (except Finance & SAM), and have had Office, Library and Teachers Aide training - all as a casual.

Let's see some appropriate training for Science happening again!
Liz
smiley

Post by smiley »

Helen,

Why don't you just offer to get a copy of the four-year Lab Technicians course from your local TAFE!!

I thought it was already mandatory to only have trained technicians in high schools already! When I was in Canberra, and looking for work I was the only trained technician on ACTEd's books!

What do your teachers say about this. My HOD would be saying "No, no and HELL No!" There's no way she'd want me taking up that amount of time for something that's probably an exercise in ridiculousness anyway.

To write up every experiment that every class in a high school does would be bigger than the curriculum document!

If you can, hide behind your teachers. I do. If not, send your manager up here and we can feed the crocodiles again.

Kristin
Cairns 8-)
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

re what I do

Post by noona »

Hi
I did as Liz from Tamworth did.
I have one on the wall in my prep room and I gave one to the HT and one to the SAM.
I must say no one ever does my job when I am away no one wants to go to SCIENCE.
Rosalie
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Actually I agree with Rosalie, I took leave without pay for a week from the job twice and neither time did I get replaced even on days I am sick no one is asked to cover me, different story for other departments eg office, food tech ect. they get replaced straight away.
I like to think it is because we are so efficient!
Estelle
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Irreplaceable is what we are! So special no replacement would be able to measure up. I keep telling myself that anyway.

:roll: ;-)

Julie
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

It is really interesting to see what you all think about this!
Liz did you have to do a how to for every experiment as well?
We have lists of what is kept where and basic things like where the keys are but they want step by step instructions for every experiment!
As the teachers said they think up new experiments all the time so this is going to be pretty impossible.
At this stage feeding to the crocodiles is looking pretty good Kristen!
The other thing is as most of you said they never replace me when I am sick anyway so why bother.
Thanks for the feedback.
Helen
bernie

Post by bernie »

We all hads to do this a few years ago in case we left, for any new people who came in. it is a very interesting exercise once you start. For a few weeks I kept an exercise book where I quickly jotted down what I did each day from this I was able to compile a work manual for any new person comming into this job. It is about 8 pages long and I keep upgrading it as new and different responsibilities come along. (I keep it on computer for easy upgrading) It was very helpful when we had our reclassification of our job descriptions. I think it could be adapted to most lab jobs.
If you would like a copy I can email it to you as an attachment my email address is bmurray@lhc.qld.edu.au
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Bernadette I would love you to email me a copy THANKS!!
My email is
helen.a.larsen@education.nsw.gov.au
Look forward to hearing from you.
Helen
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Demonstrates yet again why this site is so valuable! So interesting to hear about the range of experience/s in this job.

Sorry if I misled you earlier, Helen - no, I wasn't asked to do this for any experiments. I feel there are good reasons not to:
* We are not teaching staff, so technically, we prepare as requested by science teachers. However, I keep copies of experiments used frequently, as I do for recipes. In some instances, this does include how to set things up. Maybe that would be enough to satisfy your SAM. I'm pretty sure my HT would support me in putting the point that it's the teacher's responsibility to order the equipment, etc., and often varies to suit individual preferences.
* That in itself then becomes an OH&S issue in terms of welfare - roles & responsibilities.
* Discuss the list of suggested duties in the Conditions of employment section in the Manual for School Assistants Working in Science (pg12).

What I've chosen to do here is from the perspective of making things as easy as possible for anyone coming in as a complete novice. Sadly, it happens! The permanent SASS staff do not want to work in Science, and are seen as 'more valuable' where they are. That leaves casuals, who, like I was, are happy to do whatever's offered in their quest for permanent employment. It's a catch-22 - the PSA says SASS are not to work in Science unless trained, but training is rarely offered, and you have to have at least 18hrs/wk to be eligible.
I have also been led to understand that I won't be replaced for sick leave.

Love Kristen's tropical solution! Up here we could try the 'torture by Country Music' approach! LOL. (Sense of humour so vital in such a laughable situation).

I have learnt so much more about my role just be hearing how the rest of the country fares. Thanks Helen, and everyone on this site.

Liz
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

How Do I describe what I do?

Post by rae »

Hi All

Further to this thread.
Oue physics teacher has asked me to set up an electric field prac. He wants me to run this prac before he does it in class because he thinks it doesn't work very well.
Is this the type of thing others do or would this be something you would expect the teacher to work out for himself??
I know it would be good experience for me to do this, though I never done it before.
What are the thoughts out there??

Thanks Lorrae
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hi Lorrae

I do that all the time! There's nothing worse than spending a lot of time preparing equipment for an experiment that doesn't work! Sometimes if you invest a bit of your own time then you can iron out all the kinks before you put it before a class.

I also love teacher's handbook that have instructions that include the words "simply...." It's for certain that it won't be simple!

Also on the topic of electricity we have bought, from a company in Brisbane, an Energy Monitor. You can plug it into the wall, then plug an appliance into it, and it reads out how much power each appliance pulls. Interesting to get kids to run a microwave on Medium power, and see how much electricity is still required to operate the unit. I can pass on the details to anyone who is interested.

Cheers, Kristin 8-)