Purchasing Mercury

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar
State/Location: NSW

Purchasing Mercury

Post by MariaQ »

Hi Guys, any ideas where I can buy some mercury? Westlab is out of stock, MTA doesnt sell, Haines is very expensive :crazy: any other ideas? :popcorn: MariaQ
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Re: Purchasing Mercury

Post by Marama T »

Good luck with your quest, but we will never have mercury in our school again. It's far too dangerous, too easy to spill, and too hard to safely clean up.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

If you really need to buy some, ensure you also budget in a mercury spill kit. I just bought a small one from Science Supply Aust, mostly for our mercury thermometers. Although I also recently bought some kerosene thermometers from AIM Scientific - Jim assured me they were a good substitute and the, fussy, chem teacher was quite happy with them. But I digress!

A new teacher here this year asked me to buy mercury switches to show the students mercury. He said at past schools they have sealed them into a transparent container so the students could see and feel the weight of the mercury. I bought the ones he asked for and they are absolutely tiny. I really can't see the point. Haven't had time to show him yet as when I do I will be creating more work for myself.
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

:thumbup: This is specifically for an IEC Constant Volume Thermometer, it would be teacher use only, demo and we already have a spill kit for mercury.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

How much are you after Maria ?
I ask , because there may be a school near you that has more than they need and would be happy to share .
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Have you tried SSA? They are very well priced for any of the chemicals I have looked up, and may be the same for mercury.
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

Hey bigmack, already onto it!
Yuks
Job Title: Laboratory assistant
School: SMMC
State/Location: ACT

Post by Yuks »

I've never used this supplier but they have and $200 cheaper than HAINES.
https://bacto.com.au/index.php?route=pr ... t_id=21369
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have been required to dispose of anything that either uses mercury or has mercury in it, all mercury thermometers, a constant volume apparatus (not sorry to see that go it was so old), a hydrometer, etc. I have no idea what the chemistry teacher expects to use for any practicals using the Quikfit equipment that require high temperature thermometers. Any suggestions are welcome.
As for buying mercury I checked the ChemSupply site for pricing: 500g is $338. It is classified as a drug precursor and a licence is required to purchase the chemical.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Lyn wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 10:28 I have been required to dispose of anything that either uses mercury or has mercury in it, all mercury thermometers, a constant volume apparatus (not sorry to see that go it was so old), a hydrometer, etc. I have no idea what the chemistry teacher expects to use for any practicals using the Quikfit equipment that require high temperature thermometers. Any suggestions are welcome.
As for buying mercury I checked the ChemSupply site for pricing: 500g is $338. It is classified as a drug precursor and a licence is required to purchase the chemical.
AIM Scientific (Adelaide) sell kerosene thermometers as a substitute for mercury. We used them for the first time this year and the Chem teacher was happy with them. They didn't fit in the holder in the Quickfit kits as they were a bit thicker so I took out the rubber O Ring, bought a different size off Ebay and bingo - worked a treat.