How many of us wear Lab coats??

polling is enabled in this forum.

Do you wear your lab coat on a daily base?

Yes I do wear my lab coat daily
45%
No I only wear it some times
55%

Total votes: 101

Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

How many of us wear Lab coats??

Post by Labbie »

I have put in for 4 new lab coats. I have been asked if I can find out, who do wear their lab coats. I would be most interested to know.

Thank you
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Whspa

Re: How many of us wear Lab coats??

Post by Whspa »

I wouldn't be without my lab coat - I wear it all the time. My HT wears hers when she is on class. However, none of the other teachers in my staffroom ever wear one. This has resulted in some confusion amongst students and staff as to who is the HT and who is the lab assistant - because we are the only women in the staffroom and the only ones ever seen in a lab coat.

Carol
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I virtually live in mine. It protects my clothes, carries my pens, keys, random other things and helps people in other areas of the school know where I fit in. Also saves wearing an extra layer of clothing on cooler days! It is amazing to see how quickly it becomes dirty/stained/splashed on after i wash it. I would hate to think of all that going directly onto my clothes! We have a fairly high dress standard here so I can't afford to go out buying new work clothes all the time. I also try to wear gloves for messy jobs - refilling food colouring droppers, anything with silver nitrate etc as I hate waiting a week or more to have my hands clean again!
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Ditto Rosalie's comment completely!
Alice
State/Location: WA

Post by Alice »

Hi everyone

Yes, I use my lab coat every day. It is part of our safety requirements and I would be lost without it.

Alice
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Post by pkij »

I have a lab coat but prefer to use an apron, it gets too hot here in Mount Isa for lab coats!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Pkij,

Yes I can understand that. Some thing I did not think about.

Thank you
Regards Labbie

Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I wear a lab apron on a daily basis and have one for each prep room. I don't wear them to the staff rooms - I'd melt before I reached the sanctuary of the airconditioning. Besides, after cleaning up after dissections I look like I've come from the abbatoirs. Not a good look at morning tea or lunch.

Lyn.
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

I wear mine at all times, while on school grounds. In the past, when I have taken it off to pop out for something, I have gotten strange looks from other staff members, who can't quite place where they know me from!!! Nice to know I only have to take my coat off to become anomynous!!
Cheers,
Lisa
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I wear mine every day in the cooler months, mainly because it holds all the necessary bits & pieces
So annoying to find yourself in an upstairs storeroom without a marking pen, scissors or screwdriver, etc when you need them. (Found a great little pen sized doubled ended screwdriver at Mitre 10 for $2.50 - most useful tool).
But can't bear to wear it in summer - too hot. Looked for over a year, and eventually found a light weight fishing vest at an op shop, which is even better for carrying all the bits & pieces I want to! Resort to an apron when necessary.
BTW - my Prep Room is downstairs, little natural light, quite a cave, so to brighten things up a bit, I dyed my coat bright orange. The staff all know me, and often ask where my coat is if I don't have it on! (Am jazzing up the vest, too, ready for this summer). Got to have fun and be cheerful where you can. :lol:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
smiley

Post by smiley »

We have a staff uniform, which for me is a sleeveless shirt and shorts. So I wear my coat all the time in what passes for winter up here, and as required in the hotter months. Obviously, I wear it during dissections, or when PPE is needed, but when the wet season arrives its just too hot!

Cheers, K 8-)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

If would be so kind, as to cast your vote by Monday afternoon 18th Sep. I will need to take my numbers in with me, all this for 4 new lab coats. We do not have enough money left in the science budget, or I would not have to go through all this.

I do thank all of you that sent your notes in, and casted your votes
Regards Labbie

rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

I would be using the OHS line of PPE is required and in most risk assessments lab coats are recomended

Narelle
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I have done a letter and a copy of the PPE from CSIS. I feel sure I'll get the Head to understand the options, NON at all. Your input has help't me put ideas into the letter. And I do thank you.

The things we do!
Regards Labbie

RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Don't lab coats only cost around $25 each anyway? Works out about just over 1 hour pay. It sounds like you've probably spent more than 1 hour wasting time writing letters, doing research, chasing up support etc. Pretty crazy huh?
Rosalie
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I usually wear a laboratory apron that has a large pocket at the front. It has a back the same size as the front and is tied at the sides. As I am a large woman I find this less cumbersome than a lab coat. And when I am washing glassware, I put a plastic apron over that! I am very messy.
Maree :-)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Morning folks,

I received the extra money for 4 new lab coats.

Thank you all for your ideas, a votes.

:D
Regards Labbie

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Quote: Don't lab coats only cost around $25 each anyway? Works out about just over 1 hour pay. It sounds like you've probably spent more than 1 hour wasting time writing letters, doing research, chasing up support etc. Pretty crazy huh?
Rosalie

Eh? wasting time writing letters on Chemtalk? Nonsense! It's a plausable question to ask that got a great response. If it's comfortable to wear a labcoat wear it. If it saves you and your clothing great - that's what they're designed to do. We don't have a dress code here as I'm not serving the public, neat but practical. I have labcoats, I wear them and I have to stop the teaching staff pinching them.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

I didn't mean wasting time on chemtalk - No way!! I think I've learnt more here than I remember learning at uni! I was talking about writing letters to justify more labcoats etc...
Rosalie
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes, but some people like, letters, forms, our new man at the top, likes things done this way.

Crazy world :-o
Regards Labbie