sherbet recipe

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

sherbet recipe

Post by RosalieL »

Hi All,
What's your sherbet recipe? Does it use bi-carb soda? From memory, we used to use citric acid, icing sugar and jelly crystals. Most recipes I've just googled have bi-carb soda as well. Does it make much difference?
Thanks for your ideas!
Rosalie
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Re: sherbet recipe

Post by melsid »

We use the one from Kidspot https://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/reci ... e/tp6o99fc

Works every time. Enjoy the sugared up students! lol
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

I would have thought it would need bi-carb to get the fizz from the acid base reaction.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Wayne wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 09:39 I would have thought it would need bi-carb to get the fizz from the acid base reaction.
That's my thought as well. I wonder if the kids at my previous school were ripped off all those years!! haha or maybe they did have the bi-carb and I just don't remember. It has been a while!
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We generally go with this ratio, but all teachers are different and mix and match.

1 citric acid : 8 icing sugar : 12 jelly crystal : 1 baking soda
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

1/2 teaspoon of citric acid (acid), 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (base), 3 teaspoons of icing sugar. Mix and enjoy. Where does the fizz come from? (From Acids and bases) This is good for vegetarians too as there is no gelatine.,
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Our mob have a special Sherbet kit we keep in the staffroom . We use caster sugar or normal while sugar and the kids grind it all together in the special Morter and Pestles that stay in the kit .Some add the Jelly crystals some don't .

We used to give the kids a little ziplock bag to take it home in ,but once they started joking about how much they could sell their little bags of Chrystal stuff for we switched to making little packets out of Baking Paper :thumbup:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

They are always one step ahead of us, ha ha
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

STILE has a recipe but the quantities are huge, then you throw in the teacher that doesn't monitor how much the kiddies are taking and you end up with kids walking out with giant bags of sugar. I couldn't believe that they were allowed to take so much. Love the idea of the paper packet.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

We made this for science week. Just the basics and the kids loved it. They mixed it the bags to there was less mess.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Sherbert Recipe:
1 tablespoon icing sugar, 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1/4 teaspoon citric acid, 1 teaspoon flavoured jelly crystals. Put all ingredients in a snack size ziplock bag. Zip bag shut and make sure all ingredients are mixed/shaken together well. If not to students taste add extra icing sugar or another teaspoon or two :thumbup: of jelly crystals.
We use the proper measuring spoons that are used for cooking measurements. Make sure that the 1/4 teaspoons are level and not overloaded. I have at least one bag of sherbert sitting in my drawer after we do this. I like this experiment. :clap3: