Nail Biting

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
remlap12
State/Location: NSW

Nail Biting

Post by remlap12 »

Hi all,

I have a teacher who has asked for something to paint onto jelly beans to deter the students from eating them.
Something like the solutions you can buy to discourage nail biting.
Any ideas of something we may have on hand????

TIA
Helen
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Nail Biting

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yes, you can buy that from the chemist. Can't remember the name but, it has a bittering agent to stop kids chewing their nails. It is non-toxic, non-hazardous so pretty safe to use.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Bitrex is the name of the product they put into nail polish. Manicare have one called Bite No More.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Thanks Merilyn, but he was asking if we had anything on hand that he could use......not a commercial product.
Dare I say.....a chemical we would have, a safe one of course!!
Regards
remlap12
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hmmmmmm.......that sounds like a BAD idea!! :redcard: :redcard:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

LOL , soak them in Methylated Spirits . Our Australian stuff contains a strong bittering agent ...not particularly non-hazardous though....but it stops Winoe's drinking it without poisoning them .Unlike America where they actually add Methanol . :whistling2:

have to ask why a teacher would choose to use an edible Lollie in class and got to lengths to discourage them being eaten ?

Is it importance of using jellybean's due to them being small and colourful ? If so , why not use coloured counters or the likes ?

I also have to wonder who gets the job of painting probably a hundred Jellybeans in nail polish :cheesy:
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

bigmack wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 14:33 LOL , soak them in Methylated Spirits . Our Australian stuff contains a strong bittering agent ...not particularly non-hazardous though....but it stops Winoe's drinking it without poisoning them .Unlike America where they actually add Methanol . :whistling2:

have to ask why a teacher would choose to use an edible Lollie in class and got to lengths to discourage them being eaten ?

Is it importance of using jellybean's due to them being small and colourful ? If so , why not use coloured counters or the likes ?

I also have to wonder who gets the job of painting probably a hundred Jellybeans in nail polish :cheesy:
bigmack,
what can I say......he's young :rolleyes:
we have decided he will buy some commercial nail biting solution and no I have not volunteered to paint said jelly beans!!! :cheesy: :cheesy:
Regards
remlap12
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

J wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 14:13 Hmmmmmm.......that sounds like a BAD idea!! :redcard: :redcard:
J,
yes, we've had a discussion and he's buying some nail biting solution.....
Regards
remlap12
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Sorry I missed your point. But I wouldn't have anything here that I would use.
I used to do this at another school. Used jelly snakes and only had to paint one side of some of them. May have even been just some of one colour. It showed how animals could adapt to not eating something poisonous or unpleasant. Kids soon learnt not to eat a certain colour even if there was a chance of it not being treated.

If you were concerned, I guess you could use those terrible flavoured jelly beans - menthol, vomit etc Ghastly!

Bigmack - I think the bittering agent here is Methanol
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

You can get a spray one called thumbs away that has the same effect (stops thumb sucking rather than nail biting) which would be a whole lot easier for application to jelly beans!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

What is the practical that he is doing that needs to use jelly beans? I also would definitely NOT use methanol as a bittering agent. If you have heard of tourists overseas becoming extremely ill/poisoned after drinking dubious alcoholic beverages, that is the ingredient that has been added to the alcohol. Makes you very sick or could kill you. If he is doing something like chromotography using jelly beans tell him to forget it. It has rarely if never worked. Talking from experience and years of having to convince teachers to use other ways of doing that particular practical.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Merilyn1 wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 14:53
Bigmack - I think the bittering agent here is Methanol
Methanol is a denaturant .It is added so the ethanol can be sold Excise tax free . It actually has no smell or taste and is unfortunately why it gets mixed with ethanol and passed to kids to drink on the cheap . They have no idea they are drinking it .

Bittering agents are added to Metho to make it mouth puckering and to cause vomiting .
Here's an SDS snip from Diggers , who supply Coles , Black and Gold as well as the NZ market . None of it has methanol .
Diggers Metho Coles.png
However my comment was tongue in cheek :whistling2:
I wouldn't actually recommend it .
Incidentally , Diggers do make a version called "Special Methylated spirit" which does contain Methanol .So I was wrong that all Aussie Metho is methanol free . :blush2:
Diggers special metho.png
Also of interest , Methanol poisoning is treated by giving patients intravenous Ethanol . The idea is that the Body will work to remove the ethanol before the Methanol . Otherwise the body metabolizes the Methanol converting it to Formic acid , and that is what kills the body .
While the body is working to process the Ethanol , the methanol passes through without metabolizing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

This is such an interesting website. You learn something new almost every time you open it up. Who knew about ethanol and its life preserving effects. :eek:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hey thanks Bigmack for the clarification! I had seen a SDS which included methanol at some point.
Interesting factoid about the methanol treatment. Thanks for sharing :)
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Thanks everyone for your input!
Yes it is an invaluable site! So many interesting things to learn!!
Regards
remlap12
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar

Post by MariaQ »

We did this for a number of years, until we had one student who said it made her feel unwell and nauseous, got a huge complaint letter from the parent, never done again.

MariaQ
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Get the jelly beans out of a bag with offal in it in front of the class. I tell the kids they dont eat in the science room due to contamination, and they believe me.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Same we tell the kid we have a mouse infestation and food stuffs are out of date by 2-3 years. Classroom management.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

We often burn cheezels for the grade 8 energy prac. I have kept a box that has the use by date of 2010 and put the new packet in the old box and send into the classroom, no one wants to eat cheezels that are that far out of date!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Wayne wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 14:46 We often burn cheezels for the grade 8 energy prac. I have kept a box that has the use by date of 2010 and put the new packet in the old box and send into the classroom, no one wants to eat cheezels that are that far out of date!
Love it, I have a Maccas Cheese burger from 2010 that until this year with all the wet weather and humidity has only just developed mould. I'll have to buy a new one and start again. First few years it still smelt like a cheese burger.