egg membrane

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Re: egg membrane

Post by Graham Kemp »

lada wrote:Lorrae,
I think water, and weak salt solutions will increase the size of egg, but golden syrup or conc salt and sugar solutions will decrease the size.
Lada
Yes. That is what should happen.

Water and weak salts solutions are hypotonic-- they're less concentrated than the egg-- so osmotic pressure will draw water into the egg.

Concentrated salt, sugar, and especially golden syrup are hypertonic-- they're more concentrated than the egg--so water will be drawn out. The syrup is very good at this; not much water content at all.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Post by rae »

Thanks Everyone! I thought we may have done something wrong. Will try these alternatives next time!
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

Hey,
Just wondering. I've had the eggs in from the beginning of the day, how long does the process usually take to complete?
And is it bad if I leave them in the fridge still in the vinegar over the weekend to complete? Or will this just further break them down?
Thanks!
michellen
State/Location: QLD

Post by michellen »

emma.hunt wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 14:02 Hey,
Just wondering. I've had the eggs in from the beginning of the day, how long does the process usually take to complete?
And is it bad if I leave them in the fridge still in the vinegar over the weekend to complete? Or will this just further break them down?
Thanks!
We've had ours soaking for a week in the fridge. That seemed a long enough time to dissolve the egg shell & get a good, firm membrane to start the prac with.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Several years ago, I only ever needed one or 2 eggs at a time and used a 250ml beaker. I’ve been asked for 6 eggs. Can they all go in one beaker (or ice cream bucket?) with the vinegar or is it better to do each one separately? I’ve got until Monday to get them ready.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I had to prepare 30 eggs this time. I think they need 24 hours in vinegar and it works better if you rub them a bit several times during the process as well as changing the vinegar at least once. I put 10 eggs in 3 large beakers.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Oh wow! 30!! OK I will try them in an ice cream bucket. I do remember needing to rub them a bit and changing the vinegar but it has been a long time since I had to do it!