Thermite Reaction

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Thermite Reaction

Post by linotas »

Does anyone still do this? What safety additional procedures do you put in place?

I have a teacher who wants to do this as a demo. The HOD and I are reluctant. I have looked at science assist, he has a slightly different method from RSC (UK). I'm a bit nervous to give my blessing having never done one before (although I have seen it demo'd at a conference)
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Thermite Reaction

Post by bigmack »

I have PM'd you an excerpt from CCIS

In brief , Teacher only Demo , outside , 10 meters distance ,limited amount of Chemicals , suspended above sand .
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

I do this as a Demo for the Teachers and we do it for the year 8 classes only twice a year with them all outside to watch and I carefully set it up of. My HOD will only allow me to do it with my qualifications and experience in the different Labs that I have worked in before working in a school. If you PM me your e-mail , I'll send you the details I have to perform this in a safe manner. You must also keep the weather in mind when doing this as well.
Cheers
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville
State/Location: NSW

Post by Xenon »

I've done it once myself and a teacher did a demo outside. Don't do it on a rainy day. Method in CSIS Appendix F under 'Aluminium'.
Xe, SD, KOPR