Distillation for juniors

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Distillation for juniors

Post by bigmack »

Ever since I've been here , we always had this basic air distillation prac for junior classes. It was hopeless .Steam would shoot out the end unless you literally held a match under the flask . At most you'd end up with a few drips of condensate out the end .

[attachment=3]Air_still_1024x1024.jpg[/attachment]

We were against using the quickfit stuff for juniors and as most of our labs don't have suitable hose connections ,using water cooling wasn't an option.

A while back , I found some big old Liebigs in the storeroom . I filled one up with water via a hose and then put a Rubber dropper bottle teat over the hose fitting . A few bits and pieces and success :thumbup:

[attachment=2]old condenser.JPG[/attachment]

I used a bit of hose to connect the Liebig to the flask so there was plenty of safe movement and minimal chance of glass breakage .
The Westlab Unistoppers also have plenty of "give" in them to add extra wiggle-room.

[attachment=1]collection and capped end.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Fittings.JPG[/attachment]

Teacher used it in class and said it worked a treat . The water in the Liebig jacket had enough cooling capacity to easily run for 10-15 minutes on a spirit burner collecting 20-30 mls of distillate . well and truly enough to demonstrate distillation process .

The teacher said the kids could see and feel the transfer of heat energy and also as the body of water became so hot , she could discuss the idea of using running coolant water to prolong the distillation .

But she said although it worked well , it was large and was hard to fit on the benches .She also said she was nervous that the kids might brake the condensers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Distillation for juniors

Post by bigmack »

So a bit of head scratching and I come up with a simple version. Its just a glass tube inside a larger tube . The hardest part was cutting the large glass tube .

[attachment=1]easy condenser.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]close up.JPG[/attachment]

It worked too , pulled 20mls of distillate from it before the water got too hot . Perhaps starting with cooler water might help .
Teacher likes this as its much simpler and the risk of damage to expensive glassware is almost gone.

EDIT: Sorry about the pics /text alignment . The forum is doing something funky at the moment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Post by RosalieL »

That looks really good! I will have to keep it in mind if I'm asked for something similar. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing!
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant
State/Location: NSW

Post by Prima »

Creative, safe and functional - what a win!
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Looks like a nice simplistic set up, always the best :)