Non Dangerous Chemical storage

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
celia1
State/Location: NSW

Non Dangerous Chemical storage

Post by celia1 »

NOn dangerous chemical storage Help!

Some of the teacher want to keep sugar,oil. detergents.salt,borax and other things that we normally use at home in a box in the pre-lab easy to a get when needed for some experiment without a risk assement that they provide with every other chemical when they place a requition form but the H teacher says the they are chemicals and they should be locked up .
I am still learning and i do not provide anything without her sign for it .
what is your exp.advice on it how do you store your chemicals and experiment

Celia :?:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Non Dangerous Chemical storage

Post by Slartibartfast »

Apart from detergents/cleaning agents, if it's got an MSDS to that affect, keep it in the chem store. Others like sugars etc do not need to be locked up, just kept in a dry storeroom.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

I have these sorts of food stuffs in a separate cupboard in the back of the preproom - not in the chemical store - tea bags, sugar salt, food colouring etc anything bought at the supermarket - anything purchased through a chemical supplier is in the chem store - sucrose, sodium chloride etc

These are all listed in my chemical stocktake/chemical register
smiley

Post by smiley »

I've got a "foodstuff" cupboard in my Prep Room. It has Bi-carb, Citric Acid, Cream of Tartar, Flour etc etc. Everything that I have bought from a supermarket. Up here my sugar, icing sug lives in the fridge, since we share the rainforest with 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 ants (to the power of 1,000), and they share my prep room on a quid pro quo basis.

But seriously, yes I can be serious, food things can be in a cupboard, not the chem store.
Cheers, K 8-)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Blimey Smiley! You wouldn't want to sit still too long up there, you'd be carried off!

If I can get away with a lunatic goat for company, I think it would be more than reasonable for you to request a Spiney Ant-Eater. I'm sure Q-Stores stock them. Here's one from their catalogue - product number 1483331 on page 261 under Insect Repellent and also page 335 Abrasives/Bootcleaners. They start at $149 excl GST and they come in 3 sizes.

I wonder if they could be trained as a back scratcher? Ask your schools purchasing clerk to get you one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
laurena grieger
State/Location: SA

Post by laurena grieger »

I also keep what I class as cooking materials separate in my storage room, and products with material safety data sheets, are stored in their correct areas. I find it all easy to obtain for staff and ourselves, if we all know our storage areas and we have labelled.

Laurena
lada

Post by lada »

Thanks Richard, for the funny side of science. You and Kristin make my day.
lada :cheesy: :grin:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Richard - Hell yeah! Can have one? CanIcanIcanIpleeeze?

Actually if I get my daughter to go on a "traditional hunting for food" excursion with her uncles, then SHE could get one, and loan to to me. Although, I'm not sure where Echidnas fit into a traditional Torres Strait diet, but we'll swing it somehow.
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

please please please can I have one toooo... they are so cute!
well - not cuddly as such ..but...
:)
celia1

Post by celia1 »

Thanks for the feed back .

celia and also like the humorous participation
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Only too happy to help with other labbies ant problems (oh, and non dangerous chemical storage issues) :D
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F