Fly Spray

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
jilly
State/Location: NSW

Fly Spray

Post by jilly »

Hello All
Our G.A. came to see me this morning to ask me what I knew about using Fly Spray in DET Schools. He was informed by our Admin. Staff that they were pretty sure that fly spray was banned. I have trawled through the DET site and searched Chemtalk but have not seen any information that says this is so. Some of our class rooms are experiencing an influx of flies and would like them sprayed. Any one know if there is a ban on fly spray?
Jill
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Re: Fly Spray

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I would think that you would have to do a Risk Assessment on the Use of Flyspray.
Consider things like... student & Staff allergies/sensitivities, read the MSDS etc.

How about looking alternate engineering solutions eg the source and entry points for the flies, rather than to use fly spray.. close doors policy...

In food areas,Food tecjh. lunch rooms and canteens- fly spray is a definate no-no in my RA.. We have installed the Blue zapper light, as well as flyscreens.

You can get goor results with a fly swot( like you have nothing else to do all day!!!) or even the sticky flypapers in out-of- the -way areas, but they looks awful though.

Look at any garbage areas around where the flies are gathering.. any chook or animal pens nearby... elimainate local breeding areas.

:wink2: Failing that.. have you considered getting
in a few more gheckos, lizards, or large spiders...(shudder! :w00t: )
We dont use fly spray unless we have completely run out of options... and havent had to use it yet.
However, you may just be in a very maggotty area... where are you jilly?

edited to make sense
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Don't know about the rules of flyspray, but its fantastic for cleaning white boards when they get that grey,used , shadow look to them.
spray on and wipe off with paper towel.
Trish.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I can not find any thing about Fly spray in the CSIS being banned.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Trish
One of the main ingredients in fly spray is Kero, so when cleaning whiteboards, just dampen chux wipe with kero and wipe over, but remove excess, as pens will smear and not write properly if to much residue left on
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Like Sue
I went to CSIS and had a good look and as far as I can see you can use fly spray just not on the kids HAHAHAHAHA ( sometimes i am sure that a GA would love to )
Noona
jilly

Post by jilly »

Thanks for your prompt replies. Will go ahead and spray the wretched beasts (flies - not the kids) may even give the whiteboard a clean while I am at it!!! What a great hint.
Rainbow-Sky Grenfell is in Central Western NSW between Cowra, Young and Forbes.
Jill