Chemical Stocktake

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
jilly
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Stocktake

Post by jilly »

Hello Everyone
Could I have some feedback on how other Lab Assistants do their chemical stocktake.
I have an old computer and the 2003 CSIS CD and use the Manifest and update and print out in Term 4 each year.
We have just under 250 students in our school.

I would like to know if there is a better way to do this. I have fiddled with the Chemwatch site online but have had little success with the manifest.
Looking forward to some udated ideas.
Jilly
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Jilly,
I am doing a major school-wide stocktake as we speak (we have an audit next week). This means updating the manifest and reprinting ALL the MSD Sheets for the school's Central Chemical Register. I've done this countless timesd and still find the old Chemwatch CD system is the best way to go. The web-based Chemwatch is fine but our computer system is too trouble-prone for it to be anything but a backup for me. When I changed computers, my old CSIS stuff got lost, so I've stuck with Chemwatch ever since. They update the CD 3or4 times a year, and are more then happy to help with any problems. Admittedly, some aspects of the program are a bit clunky, but generally it suits me fine and does everything I need.
Regards,
Elizabeth
Robb

Chemical Stocktake

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I also complete my stock take using the Files from the CD, I have set up a system here that helps me to have a steady flow from the Chem Store to Final Printout of the inventory.

**Sometimes a daunting task**.

Keep in mind though that when details are entered into the Chemwatch website using Chemwatch Gold. Your School data can be deleted by anyone whom accidentally does this. So Be careful..

Cheers,

Robb..............
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Julia
State/Location: WA

Post by Julia »

Can you give me the web address of the chemwatch you guys are using please
Ta Julz
Robb

Chemwatch

Post by Robb »

Hi Julia,

There is a Topic I have posted on the Home page of chemtalk regarding Chemwatch updates. This is the NSW departmental site and I am not sure if you can access this in WA. Try it as it may work for you. This is what we use as we don't receive any CD's anymore.

Let me if you can access this site,

Robb.......
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

Julia

Post by Julia »

Sorry Robb for being a pain, but can you give me a walk through how to access the homepage of chemtalk?
Julz
Robb

Chemwatch for WA

Post by Robb »

Hi Julia,

The NSW Site is http//chemwatchdb.det.nsw.edu.au try it as it may work, I suspect it won't.

I am still looking into a WA site for you.

Bear with me..

Robb………..
University of Newcastle.

Robb

Chemwatch in WA

Post by Robb »

Hi Julia,

I have not been able to track any Website down which gives the Chemwatch site for you in WA. Maybe a colleague here in the Chemtalk Site whom could assist in this matter

Hope this yeilds something for you Julia..

Robb………..
University of Newcastle.

ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Julia,
Why not just ring Chemwatch directly. All the state education departments will have a different way of using Chemwatch (if indeed they do) so NSW info will be of little use to you. I pay for the Chemwatch CDs annually, but I'm not sure if all schools can do this.
Contact Chemwatch at 70 Bambra Rd
Caulfield Nth 3161
03 95724700
Chemwatch@<URL removed, see forum rules>

Regards,
Elizabeth
Julia

Post by Julia »

Thanks everyone

I did try the website, but I can't get access to it from here. I can't even get Chemwatch@<URL removed, see forum rules>.
It would be great to access the same information that you are able to in the Eastern States.
Julz
ri

Chemwatch

Post by ri »

Hi All,
since the Chemwatch CD for us had a use by date, we now access Chemwatch Chemgold 2 via the internet daily.
The AIS has negotiated a contract with Chemwatch where registered independant schools can gain access to the Chemwatch website via a user name and password.
All functions previously accessed with the CD are available through the website. News, updates come through via a regular Bulletin.
"Stores" created within the Chemwatch program can have these files moved to the website so they can continue to be worked with.
Chemwatch can advise where non-compatibility exists within stores and they can be adjusted to be safe.
~Robyn
Robbie

Chemical Stocktake

Post by Robbie »

Greetings all,

Can anyone walk me through how to find and print out the one page summary MSDSs? Our admin. manager needs these to keep in the school clinic. She does not want the full MSDSs which can be anything up to 10 pages in length.

By the way, I have found it quicker and easier to go direct to the suppliers' websites (mainly ChemSupply or Ajax Chemicals) and print out the full MSDSs from there, rather than go through all the hassles I seem to have when using the CSIS CD or the Chemwatch website.

Many thanks

Robbie
Robb

Chemwatch Summary

Post by Robb »

Hi

Step 1: As you enter the Chemwatch website you are faced with the Search type interface. Simply type in the chemical of interest and press ENTER on the key board.

Step 2: Once you have this you are faced with another dialogue box from here it gives you a list of alternative chemicals to what you have selected. Simply scroll down to the Chem of interested click on it and the chemwatch page will load further.

Step 3: From here you can print the Summary page of the chemical selected or you can select the Mini MSDS option on the right of the screen (Top option) to access a condensed MSDS form.

Step 4: At the top left hand side of the screen there are a series of blue icons, Press the third to print out the type selected as per the previous steps.

Hope this has been advantageous.

Robb.........
University of Newcastle.