radioactive waste removal

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

radioactive waste removal

Post by Sassi »

Hi everyone,

As I was doing the stock take of chemicals I found out that in our radioactive cupboard we had a little cash box with suspicious looking things in it. My head teacher was under the impression that the lab tech before me had had all the radioactive stuff disposed of, but she must have told a fibb :w00t:

Anyway, I called up chemsal and they can only dispose of it if I can certify that the isotopic waste has a specific activity of less than 100 becquerels per gram. I am not sure how to do this, as the only info I can find about it in the cash box is a list with the different types, ie.;

americum 241
Caesium 137
Cobalt 60
Radium 226
Strontium 90
Uranyl acetate

Can you help me please???

Sassi :?
lada

Re: radioactive waste removal

Post by lada »

I would try to contact someone from ANSTO Lucas Heights. They should be able to advice you.
Or ring Phillip Crisp from eco solve( not sure of the actual name). #-o
If you're still stuck, I have a friend who works at ANSTO, but she is away for next 2 weeks, so I can ask her later.
L :coffee:
ri

Post by ri »

Hi Sassi,
do you have a geiger counter/timer? This will give you a radioactive readings. Your Physics teacher would know how to evaluate the readings.
~Robyn
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Thanks for your help! We have no geiger counter so I have called ANSTO who said they would get back to me with someone who can help... fingersXed!

Sassi :)
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Used Americium 241 that is passed its halflife will begin to have will have counts less than 100 Bq's. This being an alpha partical releaser, this should not be a problem. Physics or main stream science will use these isotopes anyway, so keep hold onto them.

Uranyl Acetate on the other hand will pose problems for you. Local Universities will take this off you.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **