rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill
State/Location: NSW

How to class chemicals

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi everyone,
I am trying to stocktake at present and I seem to be having problems trying to find out what type of chemicals are what. eg are they organic, inorganic, nitrates, oxides etc. I can sometimes find the class they are in but not always. Does anyone know where I can find this info? I have looked in CSIS and in the MSDS but am still having trouble.

Thanks
Rosemary
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Re: How to class chemicals

Post by Lis »

Hi Rosemary
When I stocktake I just go with the category they are in, ie NR, oxidising, corrosives etc, but if you have the CSIS folders have a look in volume 2 appendix D there is a huge list of chemicals, it tells you their class, 3= flammable liquid, 4= flammable solid, 5= oxidising and organic peroxides, 6= toxic, 7= radioactive, 8= corrosives, 9=misc dangerous goods, hope this has helped
cheers
Lisa
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Every MSDS will list "Dangerous goods class" which tells you the group, the other info is listed as "packaging group" and tell you the seperation within groups
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Get pages 17 to 262 out of Volume 2 Appendix D, and photocopy them first, so you have a back up, put the pages back in CSIS. Name of the chemical, under the name in a smaller print is the name it was once known as Acetaidehyde, under that is ethanal, some time their is more then one name. Next; Category and User Codes, Tch = Teachers I can not find this written down, but if I remember correctly we labbies are a 2. Then DG class, some times their may be two 8/5.1 store under the first one 8. DG PG Dangerous Group, packing group Acetaidehyde is a 1. Then the UN Cas No useful when looking up a name on Chemwatch. Guidance Notes, also helpful. The small number on the bottom right had corner Acetaidehyde is 13, is your disposal number, how to get rid of that waste. Do hope that helps you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

My Appendix D is kept along with E and F, in it's own folder, and is very much a working copy.
I find it useful to write the formula in beside each chemical. and also put a coloured dot next to the different molarities eg. Conc HCL, sulfuric etc. and Teacher Only chems.

Even after 5 years though, there is so much to learn - I still get confused with organic/inorganic, let alone halogenic/non-halogenic. I read the posts of those of you who have degrees, or have been in the job long enough to understand it all, with awe :-s :?:
(and sigh as it goes straight over my head .... :oops: :unsure: )
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Don't think you're alone there Liz!!!! :unsure: :unsure: :whistling2: :whistling2:
Julie
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

I'm sighing right along with you!
The Search Engine
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Need to edit my prrevious post (written at home last night)...
I keep Appendices D through I in my working folder, for easy reference.
Liz

Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Your not alone in struggling to understand. I've been in this job for over 25 years and I still struggle with the job and the knowledge I am supposed to have and don't. I pretty much had the junior science sussed out but taking over the senior science as well was a nightmare. Organics/inorganics, halogens, mixing up exact solutions rather than a little bucket chemistry, chemicals which can form explosive peroxides due to age, labelling to correct standards, risk assessments etc, and a multitude of other things that labbies should know and I didn't. Did some reading, checked a lot of websites on safety issues, chemical storage issues and gradually have acquired some more knowledge of the job but there is so much to still learn. So this site is proving to be extremely useful. Thanks to all those that have science backgrounds and share willingly and to those whose on the job training provides them and the rest of us with further insight.
Lyn.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

And just when you think you have it all together - and everything all neat and stored away...............
Yep - someone comes along and tells you that you have one tiny thing wrong...
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Most people have hit the nail on the head, (It is great to see) the storage of Chemicals can be a huge thing for some people.

The storage of Chemicals should be in segregated by its Dangerous Good Class, eg Corrosive, Toxic, Dangerour when wet. And within these classes each chemical should be in alphabetical order.

Eg if I have the following in class 8 they should be placed on the same shelf in correct order:

Sulfuric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid, Oxalic Acid.

This should be:

Hydrochloric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Sulfuric Acid.

Once you have done this you comply with the Australian Standards for storage of Workplace Chemicals.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Thanks guys for all your help. I don't know where I would be without chemtalk. When I started at Wyndham a year ago I was very unsure about what I should be doing, especially with the storage and handling of chemicals. I have learnt a bit more over the year and can understand some of the language and the pracs. I sometimes think the school values it's GA more than it's lab assistant by giving him 2 days inservice on handling and storage of chemicals and me none (though not through lack of asking).
Anyway, I have just found out that all the sessions I wanted at the St Mary's conference I have been given :D so am very happy. I hope to see some of you there in November

Cheers
Rosemary
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Got my first choices, too, Rosemary. Yay!

You'll enjoy it - I've learnt so much each time,

See you there
Liz

lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

didn't get to go to St. Marys this year...they have sent me to a data logging class in Dec. instead...will miss meeting all the other labbies out there this is the only time I get to share and ask questions....love this site whoever set it up should be knighted...
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Alright guys,

When setting up your chemicals where do the organic acids go? Even the chem teacher is stumped which leaves me out there :unsure: :unsure:

Cindy
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Cindy,
If they are liquid ours are in the Flame proof cupboard.
Hope this helps.

Lorrae
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Hi Cindy,
Organic acids go in the Corrosives cupboard. My cupboard resembles a 2 door pantry cupboard. In one side, I have the "acids", in the other, the alkalis. Then, in the acid side, I have separated the organic and inorganic onto separate shelves, in alphabetical order, and of course, solids above liquids.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lisa
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I can send you a copy of my stocktake it is in class order and chemical order if you like just send me your email address and I will send it to you
My email address is ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
maybe you can use it or it will give you an idea
Noona
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Thanks for your input guys and Rosalie I've sent you my email address

CC