swapping Jobs???

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: swapping Jobs???

Post by sunray18 »

Oh I just can't see the office ladies doing my job!
A few years ago I applied for a license to collect 'road-kill', so I could mount the skeletons of native animals. :)
There was a big morning tea on in the office for a birthday celebration, when the Principal's secretary brought the licence in to me - and asked what on earth it was about.
So - without really thinking - I told her...cleared the room in 2 seconds flat, but the line up at the toilet was a killer! :cheesy:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Came in this morning ready to start work in the office. Only to be told "Sue you can stay where you are" " No one wants to do science" So that suits me fine. My SAM tells me, their had been words of a sort in the front office, and she wanted some people moved around. She had no intention of moving me any way, just a few people that do not get on. What a way to work.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Obvious choice!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Pam! probably should start a new thread, but whats involved in getting licience to collect road kill, and how do you strip it? I did it once and put on ant hill nearby in bush, not a success what thew ants didn't eat something else did!
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Ocker, that's funnny! Ever thought of putting it in a cage, over an anthill? :thumbup: Then only little things can eat your specimen, not the big things.
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I put them next to an ants nest with a plastic crate over them, bricks on top of the crate .. and 1" wire under neath them.. Yyou need to actually spread them out carefully so the little bones dont all fall into each other.. if you are game and have a strong stomach - lay them out as if you were dissecting them - belly up.. and then cut the belly open so you can spread legs apart even further.. now the smell depends on how long they have been dead!
I had 3 animals almost ready to start reassembling and the storms of last year washed all the bones in together - I could have made the news finding a 'new' Australian animal!
lada

Post by lada »

Is there an easier way? We have been given some dead animals from local vet to dissect and Bio teacher wants to keep some bones but mainly the skull. How do I treat it and preserve it??
Help [-o<
lada
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Hi there Sue
Take my word for it!!!! There will be no one who will want to swap jobs with you. Your head teacher will be very reluctant to have this happen I'm sure. He/she will have to train whoever is to replace you, and they are too busy to do this. I think you can feel secure.Seems like your principal is a bit whimsical!!!
Cheers
Mother
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Yes Sue, in the light of Ocker & Mushrooms etc contributions... Just brief your incoming replacement on the finer points of laying out stinking road kill..
chrisanne
Job Title: sass science
Suburb: kempsey

Post by chrisanne »

Sue - Is the replacement staff doing the CSIS Training and Working in Science Module BEFORE they are allowed to work in the Science Area?? If so who is expected to do the training - not you while you are doing another job I hope. What about the OH&S implications of working with chemicals - We are all suposed to be signed off on CSIS procedures before we play with chemicals. What does the Head Teacher think of untrained people working in the Science Area? What does your SAM think of this idea? Maybe you could give the principal and your SAMs a copy of the Science CSIS procedures and ask how the OH&S guidlines are going to be met with untrained staff doing the job. Just a thought. I get upset with the office staff thinking our job is a piece of cake and that anyone can come down to 'wash test tubes'. Chris
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

The office staff here wouldnt be interested in the science job :D , especially after lunch when I told them how one of the teachers had tried to dehydrate food including raw chicken in the incubator, grew a healthy batch of maggots all over the incubating petri dishes :yuck: :cheesy: Why do you need a licience to collect road kill, on occasion when I needed some i just stopped and picked it up! Though I did forget about a fox once and left him in the boot alittle too long, maggots again!
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Hi everyone,

Our SAM also mentioned the other day that everyone was going to have to learn each others jobs. Last time she tried to get the office staff to work in the Labs a couple of days a week the first lady she chose left the school completely before she even started and the next lady cried so much they didn't end up moving her.
I guess I must be a very frightening person to work with.
They all went pale the other day when swapping was mentioned as I chimed in staight away that there was lots of great stuff to do in science. I think I will be pretty safe as no one wants to get their hands dirty.
Helen
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

This happened to me last year. I said goodbye to chemtalk, packed up my things from science. Arrived on the Monday morning ready to start typing in the front office. And the SAM said, thank you Sue you can go back to science. No one whats to try science. I feel sure it will come up again, and again and again. 8O #-o :wink2:
Regards Labbie

fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I've just been thinking on a different angle to this.

I'm sitting here at home on sick leave with a broken leg because the only experience I have had is science and I certaintly can't do my work from a wheel chair, it won't even fit into the store rooms! :oops:

If I was in one of the offices I probably would be back at school as if i'm sitting in front of computer all day it wouldn't matter. But I have no experience in the offices with OASIS or any of the other database programs etc especially at the start of of the year and if I was there it would mean one of the office girls would have to do science and that just wouldn't happen 8O
I can't see any of them willing to get their hands dirty and do all the walking and physical lifting and carrying that we do!

So here I sit. 5 weeks down and only one to go before I get re-xrayed then hopefully back on my feet and back to work =D>

I'm glad to have had chemtalk to keep me in touch with you all and whats going on out there.

Wendy
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Fibreweb! I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed, and as we do in sweden we hold our thumbs, that your leg is ok so that you can come back to work soon!

Sass :)
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

Thanks so much Sassi,

One thing is for certain, when I get back on my feet, I certaintly wont be wearing shoes like yours!!! :cheesy:

Wendy
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes Wendy, slow but sure that is the way to go. You are so right in what you say, if you worked in the office, you would be back at work really quickly. Silly really. You could answer the phones and fax's, are you being paid for this leave?? Unsure of the situration, of how you broke your leg??????????
Regards Labbie

lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Be a great sight gag though, Wendy - maybe with crutches??? :cheesy:

Hard to believe that time's gone so fast!

Hope you're given some help when you go back - there's bound to be extra work to catch up on when someone's been filling in for you, and you'll still need to be on light duties for a while.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

How did I break my leg?

Well there's the pole dancing story my husband likes to tell, or falling off the table whilst dancing but actually I just went over on my ankle coming down some rather steep stairs whilst on holidays at South West Rocks ( if I had to break my leg why couldn't it have been on the stairs at work instead! 8O )

I'm still covered by sick leave but there isn't much of that left.

Wendy
dime

Post by dime »

Sorry to hear about your broken leg, Wendy. You may or may not be able to do the science job, full on straight away. I can only imagine that you might have to ease into it, or do light duties as has been said. The fact remains that you are SAS staff and therefore should be offered meaningful work elsewhere, particularly if your sick leave is getting short.