Can anyone explain why...

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
~megz~
State/Location: NSW

Can anyone explain why...

Post by ~megz~ »

... you use a bit of 0.1M sulfuric acid in the water when making up copper sulfate solution??? :?

I just noticed in the common solutions section of "The Laboratory Resource Guide" Book, that it says 49.9g CuSO4, added to distilled water with 15mL of H2SO4 (0.1M) then made up to 1L with distilled water.

Anyone know why? Are there any other solutions that require this 'special treatment'?

Megs :whistling2:
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Can anyone explain why...

Post by rae »

From what I understand by keeping the solution acidified it stops the copper coming out of solution. Often you see Copper sulfate wth a yellow discolouration, I think it stops this!!
I think you also treat some of the iron solutions with acid as well. with these it stops the fe2+ changing to fe3+ or vice versa. I sure someone else will have a more scientific explanation.
Lorrae
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

that is my understanding also Lorrae but dont have a more scientific explanation either i am afraid
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Dr Robb has explained it , so please do a search think it is Copper Sulfate, Dr Robb is so good.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

There was some talk on this last year. Do a search. I think it is to stop the copper sulfate crystallising out of the solution. You don't add it when making a saturated solution for the crystalisation prac! I'll try to find the thread for you...
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... fate#p5074 - try this link to another thread. It should answer your questions :)