Bromine Water

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
tania
State/Location: NSW

Bromine Water

Post by tania »

Hi
I'm wondering what is the best way for me to store a bottle of Bromine Water, 300mls, where the original cap has disintergrated. Would a glass stopper sealed with vacuum grease suffice until disposal time next year?
Would storing it in a chemical store room also be OK?

Help Please.

Tania
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

hi tania,
i store my with corrosives but u can use alternative
Bromine water

Bromine is an extremely dangerous substance to handle - great care must be taken when handling and breaking open the ampoules. To purchase bromine, a poison permit must first be obtained (bromine being a Schedule 7 poison.)

Bromine water may be prepared more safely by adding a few drops of commercial bleach to a strong (0.5M) solution of potassium bromide. The chlorine in the bleach replaces the bromine in solution, and a brown solution of 'Bromine Water' is produced.[/u]

This recipe is suitable for preferential solution experiments (i.e. halogens dissolve more readily in organic solvents than in water), but is not as successful with addition and substitution reactions in organic chemistry. For this purpose, it is best to bubble chlorine gas into the potassium bromide solution being careful not to have chlorine in excess (i.e. don't aim for too deep a brown coloured solution!). Chlorine MUST be prepared in a fume cupboard.
Cheers Jazz
Robb

Bromine Solution

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Just to re-iterate what Tania has mentioned, Bromine has two categories of Hazardous Classes,
The Primary class being Corrosive the Secondary class being Toxic, so the Bromine Water should be kept with Class 8 Chemicals (Corrosives).

Hope this helps,

Robb.............
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **