Victorian lab tech pay ranges

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Eggman
State/Location: VIC

Victorian lab tech pay ranges

Post by Eggman »

Hi all,

This question is mostly directed to the Victorian lab techs, although I’m not sure how many are active on here.

With the new agreement and pay level ranges that came into effect towards the end of last year I was transferred over to ES 1 Range 1 (The lowest range obviously) I was told this was automatically done on the department side so I didn’t question it.

But I’ve recently been given some documents that talk about ‘dimensions of work’ for each range and under Range 1, the descriptor box for the technical field simply has an N/A whereas Range 2 has most of the things we are expected to do day in and day out as lab techs, so I definitely feel I should be moved up to Range two.

I’m just curious as to what other Victorian lab techs have gone though, whether they were automatically classified as ES 1 Range 2 or you were able to get upgraded, any resistance or support you came across, or any kind of similar experiences you've gone through as I don’t feel administration will automatically agree or support me with this.

Thanks
rodannt

Re: Victorian lab tech pay ranges

Post by rodannt »

Hello
This is what my current pay slip says
CLASS ES1-2
RANGE 1-6
SSB DIVISION 2
This was automatic for me and previously I was SS01-2

All Lab technician should automatically start as ES1-2
(I have heard that some schools are trying to get around this by calling 'technicians' "assistants")
Hope this helps
whits

Post by whits »

I was also an SSO1 Range 2 so went to an ES1-2, but it is the intention that all lab techs should be at this level. Some schools are trying to get around this so I strongly urge you to contact one of the unions (CPSU OR AEU). They will answer your questions even if you aren't a member and will help you apply for the higher range if you join.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

There seemed to be some confusion at my school re the classification, with the result that they were asking the Department for guidance - and the Department itself seemed unclear about the very agreement it had negotiated.

I spoke with the AEU and they advised me to email my principal and informally request that my classification be raised to ES 1 Range 2, in compliance with the conditions outlined in the new Education Support staff agreement. You should also include in the email the relevant paragraph in Schedule 3 of the Agreement, "Dimensions of Work - Education Support" ES 1 Range 2;

"Technical roles will undertake tasks that require a sound knowledge of basic technical and/or scientific principles that are used to develop and adapt work methods and make judgements within the limits of clear guidelines. Routine technical support in libraries and science and IT laboratories would be typical examples."

The day I sent the email the department informed my school that I should indeed be classified at ES1-2. :-)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Just out of curiosity what is the pay rate for ES 1 Range 2?
Lyn.
whits

Post by whits »

The Victorian ES1-2 Pay scale is 42507-54524. The incruments are linked to annual reviews.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Post by macca »

Just out of curiosity, ES1-2 Pay scale of 42507-54524. How many hour a week do you work? :coffee:
whits

Post by whits »

That is for fulltime(38hrs) on a 48/52 arraingment (or school term only).
barto

Post by barto »

The current pay scales for ES1.2, 38hour week at 48/52 is $39237 at ES1.2-1 up to $46450 at ES1.2-6. There are 3 more increases of 2.71% starting April 1 this year and then 2010 and 2011. By the end of the agreement the highest salary will be $50330.
Those salaries quoted earlier were for 52/52 ie only 4 weeks leave a year and you work thru term break.
novicegirl

Post by novicegirl »

Hi im new at this forgive me for jumping on with a question in regards to pay rates in vic,
but is this ES1-2 the same scale in catholic schools?
My position was created for 2 terms as the school has just gone to yr12 this year and they have not had a lab tech. Anyway negotiations will be underway soon for an ongoing position for 20hrs a week and im very curious where to start as this is the first school position ive held - boy its sure different from industrial!
Thanks
barto

Post by barto »

The Catholic schools have a different agreement to the Govt schools. I am not sure where you would find out about your agreement but the school should be able to give you a copy if you request it. In that agreement it should have pay scales and descriptors for the different classification levels. Novicegirl you should go to www.ltav.org.au and apply to go on the listserve which is for all Victorian lab techs and look at becoming a member.