safety eyewash taps

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

safety eyewash taps

Post by Jen1 »

Hi all,
We do not have any fixed eye wash taps (nor shower) and really find the little eyewash bottles ineffective. So, I am trying to get together some info on what types people have and any problems they may have experienced. Also any positive comments would be appreciated too!
I have been looking at one from livingstones that has a combination eyewash and drench hose of 1.5m and was wondering if this could be used as a safety shower too?
Thanks heaps in advance :clap3: :clap3:
Jen
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: safety eyewash taps

Post by Lyn »

Hi Jen, We have a combined safety shower/eyewash station in each lab. I believe they are an OH&S requirement. They were installed by a plumber and only the chemistry lab has a drain for the water runoff from the shower. The eyebath section has it's own outlet to the outside of the buildings. The only drawback is the occasional child who thinks it is a joke to make sure the whole thing operates properly. A squeegee mop and bucket fix that. Even better when the child that made the mess gets to clean it up. I don't know where ours came from but some of the science catalogues have pictures of safety eyewash stations and the shower setup which we have installed.
Lyn.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Post by noona »

Hi Jen
I have 1 shower come eye wash in my Prep room and in each lab we have an eye wash that is on a hose and can be used as an eye wash come shower.
In NSW the new labs will have this only if it is a wet/dry lab as far as I know OH&S it is a requirement to have an eye wash in each Lab not sure if hand held ones.
Noona :mail: :mail:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Do a google search for safety shower and eyewash station, there are heaps! Go for the combo (shower and eyewash) one unit easier to maintain test etc
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie
State/Location: NSW

Post by lizzieb »

That's interesting that it's an OHS requirement for each lab, Noona - we have only 2 eyewash/hose set-ups in our block - one upstairs and one down, for 7 labs in total.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!