How long does it take?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

How long does it take?

Post by Rowyrow »

HI everyone,
does anyone else have issues with how long some suppliers take to get stuff to you? Or is it just me up in the NT?
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: How long does it take?

Post by Lis »

Hi Rowann,
I found it can depend on the supplier, typically I can wait up to 3 weeks for a general order, unless it is Q stores, they are pretty quick, so it could be that you are further away, but I am about an hour north of Sydney and Sydney suppliers can take weeks. It is very frustrating I know, and more so when you are waiting forever on order and the things you want the most are out of stock or deleted :redcard: :mad: . I had 1 chemical supplier who took 3months to get my order to me, dont think I well use them again, :redcard: ,
cheers
Lisa
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Well, you shall regrett asking that question, I have been botteling it up, for quite some time, but here we go.... Eahhhh (taking a deep breath)...

I ordered a lab trolley on the 27/2 from a certain supplier, I asked them how soon I could have it as it was urgent, as we needed to set up an entierly new lab, I was told it would take 2-3 wks maximum :clap3: Well after about a month, I recieved an invoice to pay for it, but we hadn't seen the trolley yet, that was the first :redcard:

I called them up, to ask very polietely what was going on... for 5 times in a week I tried to call them, each time to be told that the person I had to speak with was unavaliable at the moment, asked for my email and phone number, and was promised that someone would call me back, they never did, that was the next :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:

Then there was easter, when I came back, I started ringing them again, 6 times this time, never a call back, so here we go :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:

Then yesterday I had it, called them up, told them that I had enough and would like to cancel my order. Well wouldn't you know... 20 minutes after I canceld the order I recieve a call from them, apologizing and wanting to tell me about the order. I said they can stuff their trolley far up somewhere, I have cancelled the order, told them I thought their service was very poor and that I shall never order things through them again :clap3: His reply was, I shall send you something to make up for it 8O Couldn't he just have returned my calls in the first place, heheheheh now he misses out on $600 :cheesy:

Ahhhhh that is so much better, :-) thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to vent, I bet you you regret it :D

Sassi :crazy:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I think it also depends on the time of year. I've found that orders put in the first week or two of term take a lot longer than those sent off mid-late term. I figure it's because everyone is putting in their order for the term at the same time so they have more to process. It's worth ringing them to make sure they got the order and to ask what stage it is up to. I'll wait for a few weeks and then start wondering if they got it, leave it a few more days before ringing and then I get told it was sent the day before and it turns up the next day. it doesnt matter how long I wait to ring, it's nearly always the day after it's sent! Sometimes it even turns up that afternoon... Sorry that probably doesn't answer your question... Oh, and if you do ring them, ask if there is something on back order because some companies will wait till they have the whole order ready before sending rather than sending what they've got and sending a second package later when the items arrive in stock. I'd say your distance does have a bit to do with it too. Sorry for the long-winded reply!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We ordered some HCL in Late Jan 2009, I am still waiting for it. I rung up every so often, at one stage they told me it had been cancelled. Most schools in NSW are going to be encouraged to use SMART ORDER, I have no idea who the company is. But it is surpose to be the one and only way of ordering things, so perhaps all the other company have gone off the rails. Smart training should be starting soon, OH nearly forgot to say, their is NO SCIENCE items at all in Smart Order :redcard: :redcard: Perhaps my HCL will arrive next week. I was on the phone on Monday, did I know it was class 8 and not just any old person can deliver it.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Up here in FNQ I usually wait about 3 weeks. It certainly depends on the company. I ordered heaps of material first week back at school and I received the majority of it within 3 weeks the rest came in dribs and drabs I'm assuming they were on backorder. I have only just received the last lot of that order yesterday so I guess it depends on whether the item is in stock.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Just a thought.... #-o Its not always the fault of the supplier. I have found that it depends how long it takes my school to go through the ordering criteria and bursar processes the order then faxes it off :coffee:
Bring back the good old days when we faxed/phoned the order through ourselves [-o< ...at least we knew that the order had been placed
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey Rowann,

Living in Far Far Away certainly doesn't help (even with the fairytale creatures to distract you :cheesy: ). My biggest beef is that I have personally sent orders at the beginning of December (last year we finished on the 5th), clearly stated that we were starting on the 24th Jan, only to discover no supplies when I arrived early to unpack invisible boxes. :cry2: When I rang I was told "Uuuhh (visualize head scratching - at the very least!), but school doesn't start for another two weeks." Well Up here it did!!! Sigh. :oops:

All that being said, and with due respect to, and some confusion re the forum rules, my mates at a supplier company based in Ballarat that sounds like "Bestlab", always jump through hoops for me, even making up kits for particular experiments, based on diagrams I have emailed them, and endeavour to acquire things for me ASAP.

Oh and JustSue, why don't you just buy HCl from a pool supplies shop? Way cheaper and good for all but the most specialized Senior experiments. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks,
So it's not just me. In fact it's not me at all it's them!!!! :D
Guess I will just have to get use to it an be prepared to call and call and call..........
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

smiley wrote:
All that being said, and with due respect to, and some confusion re the forum rules, my mates at a supplier company based in Ballarat that sounds like "Bestlab", always jump through hoops for me, even making up kits for particular experiments, based on diagrams I have emailed them, and endeavour to acquire things for me ASAP.
:thumbup:
Now that is interesting, cause it was those useless people that screwed me over, although I must say the lady that answers their phone is very lovely, and I did tell her that, after all it wasn't her fault :-) So kristin, what is your secret??? What do you do to make them so nice to you??? :unsure:

Sass :giggle:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Oh and JustSue, why don't you just buy HCl from a pool supplies shop? Way cheaper and good for all but the most specialized Senior experiments. :thumbup:[/quote]

We can not transport it in a private car in NSW, i believe big fine.
Regards Labbie

franco
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Can't the pool company deliver or organise a courier to do so. I'm sure they must arrange for delivery to other clients. Worth asking anyway.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Yeah Sue - not arguing with you coz I'm sure you're right, but how do all the folks with swimming pools get their chemicals home? :? Hmmm.

Now for the stupid question: Does your school have a car? Our HNIC has a ute, which doubles as the school vehicle, and the Art Dept, Home Ec, Science and Mr Filch (janitor) all go and and get our supplies in it.
Cheers, K 8-)
smiley

Post by smiley »

Sassi,

Maybe it's that Victoria v NSW thing?? :?

I'm in QLD so we're neutral.

No seriously I don't know. I do recall making them laugh with "Biology excursion into croc-infested waters stories". We also bought portable fume cupboards from them, and recommended same to our other cyclone-prone colleagues, so maybe they think they owe us.

And how right they are..... :-|
Cheers, K 8-)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Swimming pool chemicals are of a different class think it is class 5 oxidizing. Not Corrosive class 8 for HCL.
Regards Labbie

Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Maybe they use the corrosive Class 8 for their swimming pools in FNQ to keep the crocs at bay?!? :cheesy:
Lou P.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Investigate the Cairns Post on the net, and you'll see a largish croc that over a period of time at some lady's dog, geese, various ducks, all the platypus and turtles in the creek, and any other living breathing thing that looked like dinner at the time. It was living at the end of her yard.

So what about the bottles of HCl that one buys from pool shops? Surely the class remains the same even it is intended for a different use. (Serious question - not a smarty pants one)
Cheers, K 8-)
franco
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

So what about the bottles of HCl that one buys from pool shops? Surely the class remains the same even it is intended for a different use. (Serious question - not a smarty pants one)
I'm with you Smiley - if it's HCl it's a class 8; if it's a class 5 it must be a different chemical. Would anyone out there familiar with pool chemicals like to comment.
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

:w00t: I got a phone call today :clap3: telling me my order is on it's way and apologising for the time it has taken to dispatch it (3 months :mad: ) but it's finally on it's way \:D/ :yahoo: :yahoo: :clap3: :clap3:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Well Yay! Fifteen rounds of the Hallelujah Chorus at the next school Chapel.
Cheers, K 8-)