Gov. Stores

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Gov. Stores

Post by sunray18 »

I have been trying to track down Manufacturer's MSDS but we have many chemicals that were purchased from the old Government Stores in NSW. :-(
Does anyone know how to obtain MSDS or any information about the old Gov Stores - who took their chemical supply over, who supplied the chemicals to them etc....
ALSO - does anyone know anything about May&Baker, Jaegar or Peking Chemicals?
Any help would be appreciated :o
ri

Re: Gov. Stores

Post by ri »

Hi Pamela,
I have been around long enough to still have some old Government Store chemicals on my shelves. I inherited them from the previous technician. When the bottles are empty, I keep them as a part of my 'museum' here, together with obsolete equipment. (PS they usually have bakelite lids which is handy if you ever do plastics testing....)
I guess eventually they will go into our schools Archives. I even have my last Government Store catalogue which is laughably small compared to what is around today from the manufacturers.
The MSDS's of current chemicals should be fine even for the old stock, available through the Chemwatch site. I would dispose of any chemicals that have obviously deteriorated.
As far as the manufacturers you mentioned, many are not in business any more. You could try to Google them and see what the web says.
Good Luck,
~Robyn
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Robyn is right the chemwatch MSDS are fine as I have a lot of old chemicals here and use chemwatch
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I would love to use Chemwatch MSDS - have done in the past .. a careful reading of Workcover legislation indicates that manufacturers MSDS are required... Cant afford to throw out all those chemicals which are still ok.... :?
a labtech's job is never easy is it??? :cry2:
bindi

Post by bindi »

I dont think MSDS were around in Government store days, Im sure current ones are fine.

Maybe someone can tell us what year they started?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

MSDS for Chem Supply and some other brands chemicals can also be accessed from www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451

Wendy