PLEASE BE CAREFUL

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Re: PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Post by Mother »

Hi all Chemtalkers
Welcome back everyone,hope everyone is healthy and well rested!!!!
Anway to answer Jazz's question on Science Lab's pay.The Dept.of Education and Training i.e.(public schools) has just given us a pay rise as of 1st.July which takes us to $23.70 per hour.
I was under the impression that private school labbies earn a little more than us,is this correct?
Take care
Mother
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thanks Mother, I put $25.00 to round it up. Sorry perhaps I should not have done this. Spot on $23.70, there perhaps I was dreaming?????????????? Would be most interested to see what the private dept gets.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I think I got a pay rise too :) I just looked at my pay sheet I'm pretty sure it went up a little :) I am in a private school, and my averaged pay rate is $22.36. Sorry, I don't know what the full amount is. I know I am in the highest pay rate for the job because I have 2 uni degrees (not that they really help in the job... but at least they are recognised). I don't know if all private schools are the same.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I think I am on roughly $25 per hour..have also noticed a jump in pay from 1st July :clap3:
but thought this may have been tax cuts??
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Private schools pay more ??? :w00t: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sorry, thought that might be humourously meant.

I get $22.11 per hour. Still, we all know about QLD and pay rates in schools!
Cheers, K 8-)
smiley

Post by smiley »

But then again, we don't have to spend as much money on heating, jumpers, snowshoes, you know...
Cheers, K 8-)
dime

Post by dime »

Just got to spend on mosquito repellent, antiperspirant, refrigerated airconditioning etc...etc.... instead 8)
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

according to my contract Iam on about $23.80 but Lutheran schools got a new EB agreement so that has gone up but im not sure how much. Im in the NT aswell so it's probably different
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Wow you are all lucky!!!!! I get $18.80!

PLUS I have no eye candy like Ocker around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I should go demand a raise..... or some eye candy be employed STAT!!! :cheesy:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Yeah thats my hourly rate but it gets stretched across 52 weeks but i only get paid for the 42 so over 52 weeks it turns out to be about what your on, if that makes sense?
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

yes, private schools ...more money? :cheesy: :cheesy:

we all wish! ha ha! I think theres a lot of variation between the ind schools anyway. and depending what level youre being paid at.

......and no Ocker- type eye candy for me either :-({|=
Last edited by Ocean Breeze on 31 Jul 2009, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

OH phew! I forgot I got paid like that too Rowan!

For me the money hasn't been an issue because I'm here until I graduate & start teaching. Mind you I have adored it & frequently find myself wondering why I want to wander into the "jungle" instead of enjoying all the science / problem solving etc... in the lab!

Perhaps I could find a job teaching my fave subjects only & moonlight as a lab tech for the rest of the time?!!!!! Not a bad idea.... :rolleyes:
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Before I came here, our school had 2 teachers who were part time and job-shared the lab assistant position in between classes to make up full-time jobs each. At least, I think that was the deal. One left, and the other one went full-time teaching so here I am! Not sure how the pay worked out but I guess they got 2 different rates, one for their teaching hours and one for their lab assisting hours.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Now come on all of you... some of us work in the catholic system.. and we all know that the powers that be seem to think that we labbies have a 'vocation' and so don't need to get paid the big bucks!
:cheesy:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey Mushroom,

Look up 1 Kings 4:33 - King Solomon was a biology teacher! So it's proof that working in Science is indeed a vocation. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

hey Smiley, Hadnt ever seent hat before!
Way to go Solomon! :w00t:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Gee - didnt know THAT .... :w00t:
But Solomon sure had LOTS more money than we all do - and got 'paid' much more didnt he....
I wonder if we could claim... :?
would the CSO pay us equivalent... :rolleyes:
maybe we need to got to Rome and apply to the Pope???? :clap3:
Sorry sorry - need my coffee :coffee:
I am living in LA LA Land arent I... ha ha :cheesy:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

wishful thinking even for la la land.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Next time I'm talking to the HNIC or even better, the Bish, I'll mention the posibility of a pay-equity claim (i.e. equity with King Solomon). However, I don't want all the wives, or frankly, even that many husbands! :w00t:
Cheers, K 8-)
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I've just done a few calculations, to try and work out what my pay rate is. I work in a private school and am on Level 3 of a 4 tier system (on account of once having been a teacher) We have a "Work place Agreement" which promises us a 4% pay rise next February, and we also got one last Feb and the Feb before.

According to the agreement, I should be on $51,125 per annum, which works out (I think) at about $25.80 per hour. The base grade (Level 1) would be about $22.90.

However, they then take off 4 weeks "Stand down" time, and now they have reduced me to 75% of full time hours. (mind you, there are still just as many labs to prepare, so the load has not reduced. In fact, with all the extra OHS stuff, it seems to have increased! in fact, I seem to do about 2 hours UNPAID overtime every day, just to get everything done!). My school seems to have an unofficial policy of NOT paying overtime, even though it is written in to the award agreement. The expectation is that you will do the overtime but not want to be paid for it!

All that takes me down to about $690 per week instead of $980 per week. So, the theoretical pay rate sounds good, but they seem to use every trick to reduce the actual amount they pay us.

So, for what it is worth, that is what the "better paying" private schools are paying their Labbies.

I hope that helps!

Ian