For St Mary's Conference Organisers - Re: Chemwatch

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

For St Mary's Conference Organisers - Re: Chemwatch

Post by Rita »

Hello to you all,

Recently I rang Chemwatch re free training for Chemgold 111 in Sydney in August 2009(advertising leaflet I came across). Turns out this was only for businesses not for schools. I happened to mention how disappointing it was and that there is substantial interest from school staff statewide and that there was to be a conference at St Mary's at the end of the year.

The gentleman I spoke with is interested to hear more regarding schools and would be pleased to speak with organisers of the conference.

If you would like to follow this up the gentleman's name is Arthur and phone number at head office is 03-9572 4700.

Rita
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Re: For St Mary's Conference Organisers - Re: Chemwatch

Post by noona »

Hi Rita
The chemwatch guy will be at ST Mary's in November at our Conference the dates are 26th & 27th a flier will go out to all Dept schools in the next two weeks or so
I will put it on Chemtalk when it has got out so you can look out for it.
Noona
P.S. We booked Richard from Chemwatch about 3 mths ago by the way so maybe they don't talk to each other down in VIC
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thanks Noona.
Communication (or lack of) appears to be a problem not just at school!
Rita
celia1

Post by celia1 »

Hi ,to all
speaking off chem watch, i have just finished my chemical stock take and re -organising the chem stores into sections and class .I have notice that some chemicals that have no class in chemical safety in schools which is used by all teacher have a class in chem watch eg:lead nitrate,methyl orange,manganese sulfate ect.
So my question is which is rigth?
and do you put class 9 chemicals next to a No class chemicals?

Celia
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes Class 9 chemcials can be stored just after the N/C Chemicals Non Classified. Class 9 seems to be growing at times.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
celia1

Post by celia1 »

Thanks
Labbie

Celia1
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Celia, Sorry just re-read your message. Lead Nitrate does have a class in CSIS 5.1/6.1 means it has a sub class of 6.1 I would store Lead Nitrate under 5.1. Do you have the correct CSIS or a draft, that came out years ago????????????? I believe that CSIS is the bible book that we must go by.

Just been told that chemwatch printed most of CSIS, How is that!!!!!!!!!!

Which of course as chemwatch is on line, and most of our CSIS are printed, chemwatch would be the most up to date.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I can't get to St Mary's but it'd be good if they could do regional training sometime!
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

I vote for participating in regional training up with Smiley.... but I suppose realistically I couldn't make it up there either, *SIGH* :-(
Lou P.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Chemwatch came up and did some training in Tamworth a few years back, Rosalie. I'd started the ball rolling by ringing them directly, with the plan of offering it to both private and public schools. There was a lot of interest shown from locals through this site, even though the costs were going to be pretty high. In the end the DET, through the RSRG, offered to take over all the organisation, plus cover costs for local (DET) labbies to attend, and they ran 2 sessions, in Armidale as well as Tamworth. The only disappointment for me was that it wasn't possible to offer it to ALL local labbies; and I think there'd be the same amount of interest shown if we offered it again now - this is something we all want to learn more about!

Sorry guys (waffling, as usual) the short answer is that Chemwatch WILL come out to regional areas. Try searching to see if you can pick up the relevant thread, otherwise I'd be happy to find the notes I made back then, once I get back to work after this current jury duty stint.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Liz
If you ring Richard at chemwatck he is the one I have coming to the Conference thsi year .
The cost for him to come is wait for it $00000000000000 FREE all we have to do is feed him.
So if you are coming to the conference have a talk to him..
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Liz, yeah I remember you doing all that work but as I'm not DET I couldn't go :( I think you did really well organising it all. Maybe they can do something again and let non-DET people go. I can find my way around chemwatch easliy enough I guess, but I'm sure there is more to it than I know!