ChemWatch classifications

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

ChemWatch classifications

Post by Jazz »

Somebody HEEEEelp me
I started new job :clap3: good place to be, but no chemical register I thought it will be easy, I have done this couple of times already. Go to ChemWatch find chemical, store it , and that is it. But NOoooooooooo :redcard: :redcard:
Copper Sulfate D.G 9 no according to ChemWatch it is 6.1
Chromic Sulfate MSDS D.G 9 , CSIS no D.G, according to ChemWatch it is 8
Sodium Sulfide some MSDS says D.G 8,CSIS book no D.G, according to ChemWatch it is 4.2
And this is only beginning
Who do you follow, CSIS, ChemWatch,MSDS or ??????
Cheers Jazz
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Re: ChemWatch classifications

Post by Lis »

My understanding is that you should follow the CSIS guidelines and the manufacturers MSDS, which should be up to date, most of them are on line, hope this has helped, but like you Jazz, I am always interested in any new information.

cheers
Lisa
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

From reading the MSDS it seems that Chemwatch is strictly speaking correct in classifying copper sulfate as toxic class 6. The LD50 is 300mg/kg which is the upper limit for acute toxicity according to the UN GHS. Between 300 and 2000mg/kg a substance is classified as harmful only.
http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi ... annex2.pdf

I must say that I too, have found a lot of contradictions between supplier's MSDSs and sometimes Chemwatch. I just think it is best to read as much information as possible and make an informed decision, but it does make one's life more difficult!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Jazz
If you got to the DEPT intenet site and type in CSIS the all changes that have happened over the years should :crazy: be there
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

So what about those of us who are non-DET but use CSIS? How do we find new information? I still work off the original CSIS folder that was here when I started.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

noona wrote:Hi Jazz
If you got to the DEPT intenet site and type in CSIS the all changes that have happened over the years should :crazy: be there
RosalieM wrote:So what about those of us who are non-DET but use CSIS? How do we find new information? I still work off the original CSIS folder that was here when I started.
I'd like to know as well, I wasn't aware about Ammonium Nitrate having to be in liquid form, until used up. I get the updated chemwatch DVD's each term, but that's not much good as far as any changes that have been made to the CSIS. :coffee:
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi Jazz

Haven't talked to you for ages. Where did you move to? Have you left the catholic system and moved over to the dark side?
Would love to know.

Rosemary
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

yeah I sold my soul to posh side :crazy:
Cheers Jazz
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Well congrats :D

I hope you don't have too many stairs to climb and what we all want a nice new prep room. Enjoy life over there. I may see you at St Mary's

Rosemary