ball and ring apparatus stuck

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

ball and ring apparatus stuck

Post by Rowyrow »

HI all
My year 7 teacher has gotten one of the ball and ring apparatusts stcu together i.e. the ball is stuck in the ring ! any suggestions on how to get it out. We have tried heating it but has'nt worked
Rowyrow

Re: ball and ring apparatus stuck

Post by Rowyrow »

It's OK Have fixed it! ICE works
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

heat makes it expand - ice makes it contract -lol

sorry had a laugh on this one as i remeber my high school teacher telling us this over and over in one class as a few students had goten it wrong in a test ok most the class and he spent the next lesson saying it over and over and over

glad you got your fix :)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

Before I send the ball and ring apparatus out I check to see if the ball moves freely through the ring. If the ball seems to stick in the ring I take the grime build up off both the ball and the ring with a bit of sandpaper. This means that the students can see that the ball goes easily through the ring before the ball is heated. When they heat the ball they then see that the ball cannot move through the ring. From memory when something gets really stuck and doesn't come out when cooled down I think I have resorted to using a hammer and screwdriver (the basic demolition tools on hand used by most lab techs for frustratingly difficult situations). :club: :banghead2:
Lyn.
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

The old when in doubt give it a clout motto works in multiple situations :giggle: