Resigning RA's

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Resigning RA's

Post by rodannt »

Pondering if staff need to sign risk assesments that they have read and signed previously, ie when they do the same pracs each year?
What do other schools do?
Thanks Anne
At the moment if they did the prac last year and signed, I am not getting them to sign again.....
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: Resigning RA's

Post by macca »

Ours sign a separate confirmation sheet. Each year I date stamp and initial each risk assessment. Or redo if any changes need to be made.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

NSW public schools do not have to do RA's, if you stay with in the laws of the CSIS, in other words stay with the colour codes.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

I am in a VICTORIAN school........................
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Maybe they could sign the back of the RA each year???
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
dime

Post by dime »

Hi Labbie,
I must say I'm having an argument with HT (we are a public NSW school) over this subject at the moment. I have told her repeatedly that we do not have to do them. As usual, she takes no notice, as says teachers have to do a risk assessment. Oh boy. So I walked away mumbling on Friday and haven't had time to resume the subject since. I won't resume it either, but she will I'm sure. So if you know exactly where CSIS says this, I'd appreciate knowing. I will get back to reading the manuals when I can, so I can strengthen my argument. Cheers
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

My Head teacher has contacted Ric M, and are asking for written letter. I have had so many young labbies asking me. Do we have to do that? So I put it in Large letters, and I am waiting for a letter from Ric which should clear this up once and for all.
Regards Labbie

dime

Post by dime »

Labbie,
Thank you so much, you are a doll \:D/ :clap3:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Labbie, I know you have said a few times that DET schools dont have to do RA's if you stay within the CSIS guidelines. What would happen if there was an incident with in the school (God forbid), and Workcover were involved and there were no RA's, is the DET suppose to take the heat, and cover all staff and students. I also thought that if a Hazardous Substance was/is being used even in a DET school that a RA must be produced. I thought this is in the CSIS. TAFE have to do RA's for pracs, I dont understand why DET schools are exempt, when TAFE are also part of DET. Every where we go now there are RA's, sports, scouts,riding a bus, any activity, and my understanding is that Workcover expect a reasonable effort to produce them, should there be a reportable incident.
I have gone to great lengths in my school to cover all bases, and in the unlikely event that something happened, I hope that we can show that we have tried to reduce or eliminate hazards, or we have taken the correct precautions. This topic comes around all the time, because I think it is important and we need to be aware of policies that are relevant to us all, everywhere.
I dont think for one minute that Lab Techs in the DET are hap hazard, I have been in these schools too, I know we ALL take great care and pride in our schools and jobs :wub: . I didnt want to start a debate or anything, but I am naturally a curious person and I am interested to understand a different position on this. I try to attend as many in-services as I can, and it is always the longest, exhaustive topic of the day, and the message is always the same.
Thanks for letting me write such a long message, and as always Chemtalk is a great place to get informed
cheers
Lisa :clap3:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

anne@lowanna wrote:Pondering if staff need to sign risk assesments that they have read and signed previously, ie when they do the same pracs each year?
What do other schools do?
Thanks Anne
At the moment if they did the prac last year and signed, I am not getting them to sign again.....
My understanding is that RA's must be reviewed every 5 years, but should be archived for 30 years.
Having said that (and I am in a private school, not a DET school), I get my teachers to sign the RA each year to say that they have read it. Better safe than sorry.
Ian :grin:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Well i for one am going to continue to do Risk Assessments for all pracs as I have only just got all teachers on board to do them and I sure as hell am not going to stop them now. :clap3:

You really have nothing to loose by ensuring teachers fill out an RA for practicals so you may as well keep it going. I have heard that you dont need RAs for all pracs BUT if there was an incident work cover would expect to see the RA for that prac (go figure).

You all need to do whats right for you and the teachers, it dosen't need to be a debate. \:D/
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

You need to be aware that the DET guidlines are only that , guidelines, they are NOT a Risk Assessment.
The CSIS manuals are only a generic risk assessment, on specific equipment or chemicals which serve as resources to help you to prepare a site specific Risk Assessment.

the teachers ( and your input) should consider all of the factors and things that need to be consulted and included in your own Site Specific Risk Assessment.
Use the msds(suppliers), the DET manuals, appendix D, consider the age, ability, skill level of the students and teacher, consider the time of day, any previous near misses or incidents, the number of and behaviour and disabilities of students, school policy, PPE, engineering controls, the room/lab that you are working in , time of day etc are all valid factors in preparing a RA.

As for your original question, yes, every time that prac is to be redone, the teacher will need to revisit the original RA,( or do a new one if really really keen!) and consider any changes that are required, note them, and then resighn and date accordingly :)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Lis wrote:Hi Labbie, I know you have said a few times that DET schools dont have to do RA's if you stay within the CSIS guidelines. What would happen if there was an incident with in the school (God forbid), and Workcover were involved and there were no RA's, is the DET suppose to take the heat, and cover all staff and students. I also thought that if a Hazardous Substance was/is being used even in a DET school that a RA must be produced. I thought this is in the CSIS. TAFE have to do RA's for pracs, I dont understand why DET schools are exempt, when TAFE are also part of DET. Every where we go now there are RA's, sports, scouts,riding a bus, any activity, and my understanding is that Workcover expect a reasonable effort to produce them, should there be a reportable incident.
I have gone to great lengths in my school to cover all bases, and in the unlikely event that something happened, I hope that we can show that we have tried to reduce or eliminate hazards, or we have taken the correct precautions. This topic comes around all the time, because I think it is important and we need to be aware of policies that are relevant to us all, everywhere.
I dont think for one minute that Lab Techs in the DET are hap hazard, I have been in these schools too, I know we ALL take great care and pride in our schools and jobs :wub: . I didnt want to start a debate or anything, but I am naturally a curious person and I am interested to understand a different position on this. I try to attend as many in-services as I can, and it is always the longest, exhaustive topic of the day, and the message is always the same.
Thanks for letting me write such a long message, and as always Chemtalk is a great place to get informed
cheers
Lisa :clap3:

I agree with all you said Lisa. But our training stated that. Just hope Ric comes through, with some thing in writting.
Regards Labbie

Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Cool, I am as everyone else, looking forward to his reply. Thanks Labbie, you know where to find all the news for us. :clap3: , you are a gem :wink2:
Lisa