yr 11 prelim physics waves question.. slinky springs

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

yr 11 prelim physics waves question.. slinky springs

Post by Ocean Breeze »

re yr 11 Physics "silly-bus" dot point 8.2.1

One of the pracs that we have , Jacaranda, 1.1 (j)
"Investigating waves in a slinky spring"..extention calls for two different springs to be attached and then the energy transfer observed as it travels from one spring to another.

What does anyone use for this prac. We have a slinky and a snake spring, but teacher would like both to be slinkys, but of different diameters.. NOT merely just differnt lengths

What do others do..what works best?

macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: yr 11 prelim physics waves question.. slinky springs

Post by macca »

sometimes sams warehouse, go-lo and those stores have cheap one you can use along with the metal ones.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

point "j" in the book suggests connecting "a different spring to the slinky". To my thinking, that would NOT suggest two slinkys, but rather a slinky attached to the snake spring (although if you could get a different type of slinky, it should still work).
When I have done this experiment, I have used different springs

Ian :)
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

thanks Ian, good to know that

Yes, we too use the snake attached to the slinky, Wondering as its an extesion, teacher would like to also do a second one, but with two different slinkys (that would keep it roughly the same meduim, as they will wave similar patterns, but will the energy be transmitted twice as fast, and slow up at the wider spring etc?