time table

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School
State/Location: NSW

Re: time table

Post by Dee »

I had this happen to me - I was sent to the library for a number of hours each week.

I stipulated that I wouldn't go if I had pracs over that time etc, and basically told that I would have to make up the time during the week.

Well I got my guys (my lovely science teachers) to periodically come or send students to get me during that time to get gear etc, made a point of working through some morning teas ( especially our weekly SASS morning tea) and occassionally lunch and let it be WELL known that I had to do that to get my work done :wink2: :wink2:

Gradually over time I just stopped going and its been 12 months and no one has said anything.

I can't guarantee this would work for you, but some times you need subtle saboutage to get your point across :giggle:

P.S. Yep basically all I did in the library was cover books or dust and staighten shelves - high priority over a year 12 titration assessment task lol
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

lada wrote:Sorry all,
I have been asked to supply a time table for my duties and prep time for every period of every day for every week for rest of the term.
I spent hours on it, but the top brass is still not happy. My CEO wants to cut my hrs to 24hrs, I am full time at the moment.
We have classes from yr 5-12, with 4 classes per year.My HOD is fighting hard to keep me full time, teachers are so used to having someone here all the time, and I am very busy.
My request to you is, if anyone had to do it, what format you used. Send me a copy, please, so I can see what else me can do.
Thank you
Lada
Hi Lada
None of the school office staff at my public education school have office qualifications at all - some don't own a computer let alone type. I would just like to be paid for my formal qualifications that allow me to work in a laboratory, and not to be lumped under SASS staff.
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

judygee wrote:Dear Lada - I feel for you, I had the same happen to me, when class numbers went down I was told I had 4 days work per week. This was an absolute nightmare as every one made sure they got their prac requests in for the week and especially the rostered day off. So I found myself trying to fit 5 days work into 4 - I nearly gave myself a nervous breakdown!! Also be aware if they cut your hours (they will have to give you notice) make sure you take any Long service leave that you may have accumulated immediately. Take the leave before you get the reduced workload, that way they will have to pay LSL at your full time wage and not your reduced wage. I am afraid I was'nt aware of this little technicallity and my LSL was paid at the lower rate. Grrrrrrrr. I don't know what it is but we labbies seem to be the target whenever it comes to cutting costs, maybe because nobody (except for Science teachers) seem to know exactly what we do - so - it can't be much - we'll cut some hours there!!! There never seems to be a redution in the number of persons working in the main office we have 7 working in the admin section and myself in Science with a student population of 650 Go figure! Hope it all works out for you Cheers Jude
Hi Judy I can't believe that you have 7 working in the office for 650 students. You must be counting all the part time staff as well. We have 5 staff on any one day for 690 students. One full time library assistant and a second for 1 day a week. I will come back as a library assistant in thenext life.
lada

Post by lada »

Well, looks like the higher powers have settled it for me. 2periods a week in library. I am sure that is just the start. I have started recording the pracs I coudn't do for teachers. I have lost a part timer last year, so I am very busy, but this is just silly. We did 55 hrs practical work last week, but the request (sorry order) was to do library. Anyway, as I said to my lovely teachers "They have broken me". I finally gave in and just go my merry way. I have 10-18 months to retirement(early r, please), so I will hang in there.
Can only do what I can in 37 hrs
Lada
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Sorry to hear it Lada. Where's the smiley for a bunch of flowers. Please consider this note of sympathy as a metaphorical bunch of flowers. Hang in there.

Mind you, you could always mis-file all the books, and they might complain and stop you from coming. :w00t:
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I reckon you should try what Dee said and get your teachers to come looking for you! If your teachers don't complain you won't get anywhere.
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

Dear Lada,
well it looks like the number crunchers won......you can sit back and wait for the disaster to happen!
I am retiring at the end of 2011 and like you will be glad to leave the system.....it is hard enough to do our job without the admin nonsense.
In schools you would hope that teaching and its support were the priority however my experience shows the opposite.
judygee

Post by judygee »

Dear Lada - NO I am NOT counting casual admin staff, these people are all permanent employees! Judy