frozen hearts

and any other non-chem subjects.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

frozen hearts

Post by Rowyrow »

HI!, I have just picked up a very large block of frozen hearts from our local butcher. Now I have a question about how long I can keep them for. The dissection pracs are set for tuesday, wednesday and thursday next , now my problem is that because they are all frozen in a big lump and this weekend is a long weekend, how long is too long to leave them in the fridge? I can't separate them untill they are defrosted, now if i leave a big lump of them in the fridge from today will they be wayy to stinky by thursday next week? Ahhhh I just dont know what to do about them HELP!!!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: frozen hearts

Post by macca »

Maybe explain to Tuesday!!! what the problem is and suggest they do on one of the other days. Maybe they can be flexible :cheesy: :cheesy:
dime

Post by dime »

You could defrost them and refreeze them in class size lots then defrost as required. As you are not eating them this should be OK. I rather think I must have done this in the past. :D
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Have managed to separate them into class size lumps, the teacher who needs them lives next door to the school so he has said he will come in on monday and take his batch out of the freezer. the rest can wait for defrosting till next week :clap3:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

What a "warm hearted" fellow, to come in on a public holiday!
(sorry. couldn't resist that one)
Ian :wink2:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Row,

I'm with dime. All the rules about not defrosting are for if you are going to EAT things. In this case one presumes you're not, so next time you could just go ahead and defrost the lump!
Cheers, K 8-)
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

reguardless if you are eating or not when you refreeze met it forms large crystals of ice that cuts meat fibres and when you thaw for second time they can go to mush!