Cleaning glassware

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

Cleaning glassware

Post by Robdean »

Just wondering what detergent everyone else like me, who isn't lucky enough to have a dishwasher, is using to wash their glassware??? Are you using a specialty glassware detergent like Pyroneg or Detcon? Where do you buy it?
lada

Re: Cleaning glassware

Post by lada »

I do use Detcon concentrate from Serrata. It lasts ages, because you dilute it.
I am happy with it. :crazy:

Lada :coffee:
Robdean

Post by Robdean »

Do you happen to know the price, Lada? I checked Officemax this morning and it's $33.79 a litre. I like it too, what dilution do you use? I tend to use just a tiny drop. Don't want the teachers to get their hands on it though so have been giving them a small container of Pyroneg which they can measure out with a teaspoon I leave in the container.
lada

Post by lada »

yes, it is about $30/L, but I use sooo little. About 1% concentration. For soaking, I use 5L bins and use 50 mls or less of Detcon.
Lada
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

For stuff that doesn't go through the dishwasher I just use ordinary dishwashing liquid from the supermarket.
lada

Post by lada »

Just to put it into perspective. 1L Detcon costs $30/
Dilute it 1:100 (1%), so that makes 100L for $30 (10L for $3)
There would not be a supermarket brand that would be cheaper. Plus it is very convenient to have it ordered with all other chemicals.
Lada
Robdean

Post by Robdean »

Yes that's true. I do find the Detcon makes the glassware "sparkle". Think maybe I'll keep it for me (I do most of the washing up anyway) and then give the teachers access to some cheap supermarket stuff (something they're familiar with 8-[ ) in future for the odd occaision they get the kids to wash up (less waste that way). I find they are quite heavy handed whatever they use! :wink2:
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi
I have got Pyroneg powder here that was bought before I came. Does anyone know where to buy more? I only use it for very dirty glassware (after nappysan soak)as i didn't want to run out.
Thanks
Sue g
Robdean

Post by Robdean »

In the past I've bought it from Q Stores but I don't know if Officemax can supply it. You could contact them and ask. Otherwise check with Serrata, Livingstone and other suppliers. They seem to alter their range between catalogues!