Coverslips

and any other non-chem subjects.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Coverslips

Post by bindibadgi »

Does anyone have a cheap & cheerful storage solution for storing microscope coverslips?
They always come in those little square boxes, & the lids are either too tight.....kid can't get them open, or too loose....kid picks up box & the inside section full of coverslips falls out, & if you're lucky it lands upright instead of spilling them everywhere :-|
They also have a habit of picking the boxes up upside down....also means coverslips go everywhere. I put a small red sticker on the lids with "this way up" it which seems to have helped, but I'd love to know if anyone out there has come up with a clever alternative storage solution. The boxes they come in are pretty much the bane of my life when we do microscope work :redcard:

Cheers,
bindibadgi
dime
State/Location: NSW

Re: Coverslips

Post by dime »

Well I use the little boxes, but I count out and put in ten in each. I use the lids too as a container. I suppose I would have 12 little boxes and lids just sitting in a drawer with the micro. slides and they all have ten covers in each. (with no cover on the box of covers). I suppose that way you can see which way up they should because there is no lid. I also keep my slides in boxes of ten - in the boxes they come in and the lids too. So it is easy if they want 10 or 20 or 30 for a class. Hope this helps.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We use the smalll glass jars, from jams, they are very small. I put a lot of coverslips in the jars, I can see if it needs filling again. And so far the students have not made a spill.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Like Dime, I keep mine in the little plastic boxes, aabout half-filled.
I have class sets of glass slides in their boxes (ie. approx 20 per each half of the original slide box) and a cover slip box fits in there neatly too, so it's all sitting in the drawer ready to hand out.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

If you know some one that uses baby food jars ask if you could have some
kase
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Berri Regional Secondary College
Suburb: Berri
State/Location: SA

Post by kase »

We use petri dishes to store class sets of both the cover slips and slides, 8-10 of each to a dish. :D