Contact Lenses

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Contact Lenses

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi guys, just a quick query.

I know that contact lenses are very dangerous with chemicals. Sooooo do any of your schools ban students from wearing them during pracs? Or is it just suggested they don't?

Also when kids have ordinary glasses - do you make them wear safety glasses? I know you should but our safety glasses won't go over the top very well.

Thanks!

Cheers Kel
Last edited by vlclabbie on 16 Feb 2011, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Contact Lenses

Post by Labbie »

The CSIS states, that contact lenses are NOT a form of protection, and safety glasses should always be worn. I can not think which page or part of the CSIS it is in. And I am not word perfect in my quote.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I wear contacts and don't have a problem. I wear safety glasses as well. We have a small number of safety glasses that are designed to go over the top of prescription glasses. They are about the size of 'fit-overs' (the sunnies you can wear over normal glasses). I think many people used to think it was ok to just wear your prescription glasses, but with the glasses getting smaller they don't provide much protection.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Having said that, if I know I am going to be working with concentrated acids, or ammonia, or other such chemicals with strong fumes I will be sure to wear my glasses those days! But for the 'everyday' chemicals we use I have never had a problem with my contacts.