Glocves and Face Shields

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

Glocves and Face Shields

Post by Robdean »

Can I ask you good people what type of gloves you where when preparing acid solutions? I have been using nitrile gloves but a visiting OH&S “expert told me they are inadequate. I checked in CSIS and thee MSDS and still think they are OK. The MSDS say PVC initially but reading further down they indicate nitrile as OK and mention dexterity and also duration of exposure to be taken into account when choosing gloves.
Also does anyone use a face shield?? I have been using safety glasses, a neck to floor apron, and have the fume cupboard on full power and the window drawn down low which I thought would give good protection. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your input, this is really bugging me.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Glocves and Face Shields

Post by RosalieM »

Some people might call me slack when it comes to safety with acid handling, but here's my theory:

I just wear the ordinary disposable gloves the kids wear for dissection. The reason being I am less likely to spill anything because I have more control over my fingers. If I DO happen to spill something on my hand, the gloves are very easy to remove. I have NEVER had acid (even the concentrated stuff) leak through. The amounts we are using and the time we are exposed is just too small. Obviously you are not going to stick your hand in a beaker full and see what happens. If I get spillage I just take the gloves off and get a new pair. I stand behind the screen of the fume cupboard when playing with the concentrated stuff but for anything 4M or less I just do it on the bench because it is easier, there is more room to move and less likely to spill due to awkward positioning. The concentrated stuff is too strong to be inhaling but 4M and below doesn't seem to have an affect, so I do the strong stuff in the cupboard. Yes it's awkward and takes longer cos I use smaller beakers to transfer the concentrated liquid, but the risk outweighs the comfort. For the weaker concentrations, I think it is the other way around.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

I always thought disposable nitrile was the norm. I wear safety glasses and lab coat and prepare in the fume hood with window down like yourself I don't see an issue with this. I do have a pair of big red chemical resistant gloves that i got from bunnings but they are too big and create more of a safety hazared, than they avoid. As far as im concerned the MSDs' sate nitrile is suitable and it's not like we are soaking out hands in the stuff (acid), if i spill anything on my gloves I tend to safely finish whatever step i an undertaking and change my gloves befor i continue anyway.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I googled - nitrile gloves chemical resistance - and found several sites that provide information on glove materials. Try Adenna as they have general informaton based on published research data. There is also ansell and chem.ox. For acetic, hydrochloric and sulfuric acid, nitrile gets a thumbs up. Nitric acid would use vinyl gloves for best protection. As for other chemicals every one has a different reaction with glove materials.
Lyn.
P.S. Your visiting OH&S person needs to do some further research.
Last edited by Lyn on 29 Mar 2011, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I use nitrile washing up gloves for much the same reason as Rosalie.
I still have some degree of dexterity in them and they can be removed easily.
I too use the screen for the the concentrates but diluting from 4M and under is done on my bench where I have more room.
Wendy
Phoenix
Job Title: Scientific Operations Officer
School: Roma State College
State/Location: QLD

Post by Phoenix »

Seeing as I am the WH&S officer for my schools senior and middle campuses I've got more folders of codes of practice and occupational health units so I've just done some digging and this is the best I found.
I'll admit that this is for QLD but the difference between states shouldn't be too varied.
The annual Chemical review forms Equipment check:
Is the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) provided for all chemicals.
(the appropriate PPE requirments can be found on the Material Safety Data Sheets and Lables)
If you look up the Education departments Safe Handling and Storage of Dangerous goods and Substances and/or the codes of practice with regards to hazardous substances they all state that the MSDS holds all the information that you need with regards to safe handling procedures.

Therefore from a WH&S viewpoint if the MSDS says nitrile gloves, goggles etc thats what you need to use. The type of PPE does change as the chemicals concentration increases so make sure you have the MSDS for each chemicals concentration that you have in storage.
Kel
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

Hi Robyn
I have use Nitrile gloves always for the time we are using strong chemicals they are fine .
I have a face shield and use it when using very strong acids as well as the fume cupboard.
I have to walk across the quard from the Chemstore to the prep room so I also have winchester carriers, they are easy to use to carry the big bottles and safe.
Lurra AKA Noona
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Rowyrow wrote:I always thought disposable nitrile was the norm.
My only problem with the disposable nitrile gloves is they tend to be a bit short and can leave your wrist exposed. I've been trying to get hold of some longer non-disposable nitrile gloves but cannot get small or even medium size, so am putting up with the disposable type for now.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I buy mine from Livingstone. They are Nitrile/latex flocklined and come in sizes 7, 8, 9 &10. They are $6.60 a pair and I use them for everything.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

So it seems I haven't been doing anything wrong! He said I could cause problems, for my Head Teacher and Principal by not doing the right thing! I take safety seriously and why would i jeopardise anyone's safety especially my own!!