venting of cabinets/chemical storage in hot weather

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield
State/Location: NSW

Re: venting of cabinets/chemical storage in hot weather

Post by matchstick »

my chem store is large also.I store all the chemicals around the walls of the store room and have glass and corks and racks and retorts and bottles and the list goes on and on.But nothing that the boys "can lick"!
M
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

I would just like to let everyone know that I have had a win! I am getting my flammables cabinet vented to the outside! woohoo no more face full of orgaincs fumes when ever I open it. After much emailing and researching of the australian standards I have managed to convince the business manager and the principal that although it is not a fire safety requirement to have it vented it is an OH& S issue :yahoo: :yahoo: and that venting will not compromise the integrity of the cabinet ( casue the manufacturers said so). I didn't even have to resort to threats of worksafe!! :w00t:. Still waiting on the quote to have it done though :-|
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Well done, that sure is a good win :clap3: :clap3: Power to the people.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi all,
I was wondering how Rowyrow got on with venting of the flammable cupboard. did it end up happening and does it make a difference.
I have been going back through my posts to see when I first asked about others having problems with vapours from the chemicals.
2008, I first asked about this and still nothing has been done although now things are starting to move now that it is a workers comp issue. I reported respiratory problems to GIO last Tuesday, saw a Dr and the next day there were two inspectors here. One of them was only in the chemical store less than 10 minutes and he started coughing.
I walked out again yesterday at 11am sick from chemical vapours yet again, then apparently there was a meeting between the Principal, Chemistry teacher and my injury managment officer and the deal is no one is allowed into the chemical store until further notice until there is a better ventilation system. I am to be provided with a full face respirator which includes a mask, that's after "someone" figures out the correct appropriate one. They are also going to conduct an air quality test in the area as well.
It is the cumulative affect of the chemicals that we should be worried about, short term we cope but in the long term as I can vouch for, the respiratory, immune system and eyes don't cope at all well.
I will let you know how things pan out and hopefully other schools may benefit.
Estelle
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Yes My cabinets got ventilated! And it makes a massive difference!
There is a switch outside my chem store door which has a timer thing and an on off auto/manual switch for the venting (it is where the light switch use to be, and the light switch is now inside), I acidentally turned it off ( forgetting it was no longer the light switch) and the next day when I went into the store the fumes where unbearable! I figured out the problem switched it back on and after a few seconds it had cleared!

This is the section of the Australian standard that I got to push through the request for venting, Sounds like the issue is being delt with but if you need more ammo/ proof
section 4.5 of AS1940:

“4.5 STORAGE CABINETS

"4.5.2 Maximum capacity Not more than 250 L aggregate of flammable and combustible liquid shall be stored in any individual storage cabinet."

"4.5.3 Cabinet construction The construction of a cabinet shall be in accordance with the following requirements:

(a) The walls, floor, door and roof shall be of double-walled sheet steel construction, with a space of not less than 40 mm between the walls, which may be either an airspace or filled with non-combustible insulation.

(b) The cabinet bottom shall form a liquid-tight compound at least 150 mm deep.

(c) Any shelf shall be perforated for free air movement, and shall be capable of supporting the maximum possible load.

(d) A cabinet door shall be self-closing, close-fitting and held shut by catches at not less than two points.

(e) The materials of any components that are critical to structural integrity shall not melt at temperatures less than 850oC, seals or gaskets excepted. "

"4.5.4 Cabinet marking Each individual cabinet shall be marked with the maximum capacity to be kept in the cabinet (see Clause 4.5.2), a Class 3 dangerous goods label of at least 100 mm nominal size, and a NO SMOKING, NO IGNITION SOURCES warning sign of at least 50 mm height."

"4.5.5 Ventilation provisions Where a cabinet incorporates provisions for optional connection to an external venting system–

(a) the design of any vent opening in the cabinet wall shall be such as to maintain the structural strength of the cabinet;

(b) the vent opening shall be provided with a means for permanent closure when venting is not required;

(c) a flash arrestor shall be provided for use when the cabinet is to be vented; and

(d) the information supplied with the cabinet shall include instructions of the installation of the vent system."

"4.5.6 Cabinet separation The arrangement of cabinets shall be such that–

(a) not more than 250 L is stored within any 250 m2 of floor area; and

(b) not more than 250 L is stored in any 10 m of linear distance, and cabinets must not be less than 5 m apart."

"4.5.7 Ignition sources A cabinet shall not be less than 3 m from an ignition source."

"4.5.8 Free escape A cabinet shall be so located in relation to exits and stairways that in the event of fire the escape of persons will not be jeopardized."

"4.5.9 Cabinet venting Any vent shall be terminated at least 3 m from a source of ignition, at least 1 m from any opening and at least 3 m above-ground."

Note also a restriction on minor storage amounts of flammable liquids in Laboratories under Section 2, Table 2.1: for Packaging Groups I and II, minor storage amounts are restricted to 50 L per 50m2 of floor space.”
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

I got told yesterday that all of our chemical cabinets (acid, base and flammables) are going to get vented! :clap3:
So after years of having to kick the door of the acid one open with my foot while holding my nose :yuck: , I'll be able to open it normally. The rest of the store won't be vented but this should help hugely!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

In the new science building my chemical storeroom has an exhaust fan which I need to turn on before I enter the room however the flammables cupboard inside the chemical storeroom is not ventilated so I hold my breath while I retrieve chemicals from it - ridiculous.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi All,
Yes the flammable and corrosive cupboards can be vented. I didn't do a follow up on this, but last year after being on workers comp for health reasons because of the fumes from these cupboards in my chem store. The DET added another ventilation system to the whole room and replaced the flammable and corrosive cupboard with vented ones. Apparently it cost $20,000 plus, but I can tell you it has made a huge difference. They also supplied me with a full face respirator which I think should be mandatory anyway.
The only problem is that both cupboards have automatic door closers on them, which is great, except that they start closing before I manage to start putting bottles back. Anyway, they are coming back to fix that problem as well.
I tried to upload some photos of the venting system, but the file was too big, I will have another go next week.
I don't think the DET wanted it known what was done, in case other labbies started saying that they were having problems as well and it might cost the DET some $$$$$$
But look after yourselves, money can't buy health.

Estelle