Flammable chemicals

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Flammable chemicals

Post by dolphinscales »

Hello one and all.

Ok from the Chem storage post I have a spin off question.....
Is there a maximum amount of flammables allowed before a flammable cabinet is required?
As in total of say 20 L maximum before a flammable cabinet is required to store your flam chems in.

Cheers
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Flam Liquid Cabinets

Post by Robb »

Hi dolphinscales,

Depending on the size of the Flammable Liquid Cabinet/s there will be varying quantities of maximun amounts that can be stored.

Hope this Helps,

Robb...........
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

Storage of flammables

Post by MichPull »

Hello,

Check with the workplace health and saftey person in your school because there is a volume and variety limit of flammable liquids after which you need to store in a special cupboard, but I do not know what that limit is for WA.

Regards
Michelle
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks Michelle - unfortunetly "they" do not know either and i thought rather than waiting until "they" find out i might get a little ahead and see if any one else knew. I know there is a limit but noidea what it is.

Thanks all the same Michelle

Sorry Robb if i did not make myself clear- I am aware that the cabinets do hold different amounts and so forth i am more looking for the maxium amounts I can store before I have to get a flams cabinet.
Didee

Post by Didee »

Hi Annette
Do you have the Science Laboratory Manual (Large grey file) (Bible in WA government schools). On page 8 of the Chemistry section it states that you need a flammables cabinet if there is more than 50l of flammable liquids in the school. If you have any queries please ring me on 99658 316, I work between 8 and 4
Hope this helps.
Diana
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Diana that is what I needed - I could not find it in that manual and I swear to you I looked it through , over and back to front several times - the manual I have is not grey though - lol not that is matters once I worked out you meant the chem section and you gave me the exact page - you are a gem thanks.

thanks everyone :)
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

We had this issue while I was at Wyong High school after a workcover NSW audit. They were working on 20 litres as being an absolute maximum before insisting on a proper metal cabinet being (correctly) installed. Same goes for school GA's here in NSW for fuels etc. Seems there was an issue a couple of years ago when an amount of flammable liquid "went up" when a piece of plant material (mower etc) was being refuelled in a confined space while hot. Workcover have been on the Dept's case ever since. and rightly so because as in this instance, the result of improperly storing flammables turned out to be horrendous. Not sure what the other states Government workplace safety departments guidelines are but it is something they are starting to standardise across Australia. :roll:

Regards
Richard
Sam
State/Location: NT

Post by Sam »

On this topic does anyone know where the best eg cheapest place to get a small (30l) corrisive cabinet would be?

The one that i have is corroding from the inside and is a down right danger to everyone. But Government schools being what they are funds are an issue. Also do these cabinet need to connected to the fan?