OH&S 1 day course

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown
State/Location: NSW

OH&S 1 day course

Post by smeee »

OHS Management Systems Training Secondary Science Laboratories

The AIS has developed a special one day training program for Science Co-ordinators, Teachers and Laboratory Assistants to assist schools in managing this important area.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000 and the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 2001, require employers to ensure that premises, plant and substances are safe and without risks to health for employees, students and other persons at the school.
The key components in ensuring safety are risk management and providing information, instruction, training and supervision.
Program Outline:
- Introduction to the OHS Legislation, responsibilities, documentation requirements
- Use of ChemGold 3 in the context of assessing risk
- Risk assessments
- Working through the General Checklist Secondary School Science Laboratories
- Forum for discussion and sharing of ideas

Each participant will be provided with the General Checklist Secondary School Science Laboratories.
The presenter is highly experienced in the safe operation of Science Laboratories.

Dates: 15/09/2011
Category: Risk and Compliance
Cost $295 for AIS schools
$345 all other schools
More information from website :
http://www2.aisnsw.edu.au/CoursesEvents ... fault.aspx

Please pass this information on to your wider networks
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Re: OH&S 1 day course

Post by tuesday »

Where would this be held ???
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

It is being held in York St Sydney but I'm sure if they received enough expressions of interest, they might be able to run it in regional areas
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

The person I spoke to this morning regarding the GHS and its implementation recommended this course to me and I was going to put a link here when I had a moment. Thanks for posting it, smeee. Hopefully I will be able to attend.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

It looks good. I will ask my HOD to come with me. Maybe if a teacher did the course they might take OHS more seriously. I wish it wasn't all the way in town though!
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

I did this course last year, would recommend doing this, especially if you have little experience with OH&S. It was a good opportunity to ask questions from an independent source. Twelve months later, I'm still trying to put in place some of the finer detail I learnt - at least I've got something to work towards! What I found eye opening was the lack of knowledge of some teachers that were there, and they were experienced 10 year+ teachers, not just newbies. Was a bit scary.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What about change of legislation next year. How relevant his course will be?
Cheers Jazz
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

My understanding from talking to the lady at AIS is that it will be addressing the new legislation, although for us in schools not a whole lot will need to change.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

Merilyn, that is why i have asked for my HOD to come with me to this course. They really have no idea!! I am hoping the information will then filter down to ALL teachers.
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Not a bad idea, Jodye. The lack of understanding of a risk assessment or of a safety data sheets was surprising. I've no doubt they would know a whole lot more about science than I do, but I would have thought that these things were pretty basic. My HT has already done this course, but he is also a bit passionate about OH&S, thankfully.