SDS + Chemwatch

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Re: SDS + Chemwatch

Post by Jazz »

Labelling of workplace hazardous chemicals: Code of practice Work Cover

"This Code applies to substances, mixtures and articles used, handled or stored at the workplace and which are defined as hazardous chemicals under the WHS Regulations.
While this Code applies to hazardous chemicals as defined, it is recommended practice to provide a label for any chemical that is suspected of producing adverse health, safety or environmental effects but has insufficient information generated to allow it to be correctly classified. The label should reflect current state of knowledge"
Cheers Jazz
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

PART 2 SDS

Step 1: identify all dangerous goods and hazardous substances
Make a list of all hazardous substances and dangerous goods in the workplace, including dusts and
fumes. Then collect the MSDS for each substance obtained from a supplier. Together these documents can be used to form your workplace register.
The register must contain details of all dangerous goods and hazardous substances currently used, produced, stored or handled on the premises. Always ensure that the Register is current, updating to include details when new dangerous goods or hazardous substances are used or produced on the premises or discontinued.
MSDSs expire after five years and you should check that they are up to date.

Keeping MSDS in your workplace
The following steps should be observed:
• keep copies of MSDS for each chemical or product used and place copies in a register
• store the MSDS in a place that is accessible to everyone – you may need them near the location
where the particular chemical is used
• make sure everyone is trained to be familiar with the contents of the MSDS for the products they use
• workers using chemicals or products must be trained in safe used – base this training on the advice in
the MSDS
• make sure that the MSDS is complete (eg no pages missing) and is not more than five years old.
Cheers Jazz
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

So, this is only for hazardous/dangerous goods. Which means we don't need them for EVERY chemical, just the hazardous/dangerous ones... Too much conflicting information flying around... Hopefully I can get on a course about this!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes RosalieM that is correct. Soap, shampoo, hand cream, milk, lemonade, lemon juice, etc etc does not need to be done. I think some schools did not realise that. Or perhaps some of the catholic schools had different rules?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

You are right about only pure chemicals having to be counted for the chemical register except if you purchase a diluted solution. For example you have to have an MSDS for a 1M hydrochloric acid if you order it in. However, if you make it up yourself you only have to have the mini (1 page) that is stored with the chemical.
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

Just check that things aren't hazardous even if you can buy them from the supermarket. One of my bright red "extreme" risk MSDS's is for toilet cleaner from Woolies.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Just remember, that from Jan 2012, with the new HAZ SUBS legislation, MSDS are called SDS', but the suppliers still in pracice labelled msds , UNTIL they produce their new ones before the end of the 5 year grace period.

Hazardous substances and DG are now called Hazardous Chemicals. The schools Hazardous Substance register should now have a name change to Hazardous Chemicals Register.

Contained in this register, should be both the old Haz and DG substances listed (now under the banner of Hazardous Chemicals)

The register should contain all the (HAZ & DG) chemicals under the new grouping, INCLUDING THE SUPPLIERS SDS for each chemical.

This only applies to those people whos role is to manage all chemicals on site and to produce registers
Hope his helps

OB
Adrianna

Safety Data Sheets

Post by Adrianna »

The list of chemicals that forms the Chemical Register (ie all dangerous and hazardous goods) is kept at the 'front office' of a school,(as well as the prep room). Is there a requirement that the (Material) Safety Data Sheets for these chemicals, are to be available at the 'Office' as well. I was of the opinion that they were needed as well as the list at the office for anyone who needed to view them.
Adrianna
superbug

Post by superbug »

We use mini msds's in the classroom, but we are currently working on getting the supplier msds's and solutions from chemwatch, which we are placing on a cd and distributing around our school. They will also be on a common drive.
the list of chemicals saved will also act as a registry of chemicals contained.
Also we have a list of chemicals in the science dept. with locations of all chemicals and amounts on hand.
We have put the issue date in the saved chemical title so we know which chemicals we need to update without opening them all. eg Methanol 0.1M solution 20120631.
Hope this helps.
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

As far as I am aware there should be a hard copy of the full SDS/MSDS of all hazardous goods somewhere like the main office. This is so that in an emergency it is easy to get to and doesn't involve computers or internet which may not be working.
Haven't looked at the new GHS stuff much yet but I think one of the issues is that they are not flagged as "hazardous" or "dangerous" in the same way, so I'm not sure how we decide which things need MSDS's and which don't.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
superbug

Post by superbug »

hi Nickyinz,
We would have volumes and volumes of folders with full MSDS's in the principals office. You could sprain your back carrying them out during an emergency. But I take your point about requiring a computer. I thought all chemicals require msds's. we even have msds for food colouring , glue sticks etc.....
maleeka
School: St Clair High School
Suburb: St Clair

Post by maleeka »

Hello everyone,
This is my first time on chemtalk, hope you can help me out. I have to start printing new msds sheets because I just found out about updating after 5 years. Do the msds sheets have to be printed single sided or can you print them back to back to save on paper.
Thanking you all. Will be awaiting a reply
Maleeka :D
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I print mine back to back.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

But please remember we must have the GHS format, so they are now called SDS. In chemwatch is under options as you bring up the MSDS gold. If you need more help then let us all know.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Almost all chemicals I have are from ChemSupply. They do not have GHS SDS's yet. General GHS SDS from chemwatch DO NOT comply with current regulations (excluding solutions you made; chemwatch GHS SDS is OK) Transition timeline to GHS including the relevant documents to use for classification, labelling and SDS file attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Jazz
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Maleeka

Back to back to fine, if I had a printer that printed back to back, I would definately have them that way :D

Lisa :thumbup:
maleeka
School: St Clair High School
Suburb: St Clair

Post by maleeka »

Thanks heaps for the responses, I will print back to back. Now the long tedious job is ahead of me.

Thanks again, have a great day
Maleeka :clap3:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Can someone answer this one for me [-o<

I still have a lot of old Government Stores Department Chemicals (eg. Agar Agar) that will not go off (but no branded or company MSDS) in the past I have just used the standard MSDS via Chemwatch for that chemical and others. Now I'm being told that I have to have the GHS SDS for the branded name of that chemical to be legal. Hope that makes sense to everyone.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

sure does make sense - for I am in the same situation. I have used generic chemwatch MSDS for them as to replace them at this school would costover $1800 and which school can afford that. I don't know what to do with them now.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

So thats right then, we're not legal.I wish I could say that in relation to age just joking