Corrisive Solution

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
chemical
Job Title: SASS
School: Karabar High
Suburb: Queanbeyan
State/Location: NSW

Corrisive Solution

Post by chemical »

help I have just taken over at a NSW high school. I am only new as a labby and have had to find equipment, that is not filed promply. the Chemicals have been done. But I need to know to find chemical that have been stored in cupboards etc due to the regulations.

My concern though is how do you make the corrisive mixture used with experminets swith metals.
We have run out and one of the chemicals is the Potassium Ferragate or so but I cant seem to find a store that sells it is there a another chemical that can be used instead. And is the corrisive mixture able to be made longer than a day and does it keep for any lenght of time.

Thank you
Chemical
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

corrosive solution

Post by Lyn »

Chemical,

You will need to provide more detailed information about the practical that you have to set up before anyone can assist you. Also you need to provide the correct name for the chemical that you mentioned. Is it potassium ferrate or potassium permanganate? I couldn't find the chemical you mentioned listed when I checked on the internet.
You also need to get the head of your Science Department to buy the following manual for your prep. room. "The Laboratory-a science reference & preparation manual for schools" by B. Dungey. The manual is available through Southern Biological. It is an extremely useful manual for lab. technicians and would be essential for someone new to the science prep. room such as yourself. A very useful section on making up different molars of acids, alkalis and commonly used chemicals. A necessity for those of us who have little chemistry background. Recipes for almost everything including indicators, stains and media for growing grotty things.

Best of luck in your new position and don't forget the first rule of safety is to add the acid to the water, carefully, and not the other way round.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi Lindy,
I am curious, did you get any training or have some sort of background in using chemicals before you started your job in the highschool?
This was a discussion earlier this week on another thread about lack of training for school assistants working in science so I was wondering what your situation was.
Good luck, I think you will find this site more helpful than the DET.
Estelle
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi
Potassium Ferrate K2FeO4 dark purple to black colour, (CAS number 39469-86-8)is oxidizing agent, It is very hard to find information about it but there is something in wikipedia. Tell me what do you need it for and maybe I will be able to suggest something else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_ferrate
Cheers Jazz
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Chemical,

Would you be looking for Potassium ferrocyanide?
Are you doing an experiment on the corrosive qualities of metals?

Go into the Search button at the top of the page and type in Ferroxyl Indicator, to bring up a relevant thread.

Best of luck with your new position. Just keep asking plenty of questions! This site is a fantastic resource, with so many experienced people willing to give non-judgemental advice!

Liz
Robb

Corrosive Solution

Post by Robb »

Hi Chemical,

Just like our colleagues whom have responded to you question, we are still confused over the name you have given us, could you supply us with a chemical formula and we will be able to pin point your exact question.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **