Hazardous, or not?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
curie
State/Location: NSW

Hazardous, or not?

Post by curie »

Hi,

I've noticed with the GHS coming in that I am having trouble determining with the new format if a substance is to be viewed as "hazardous" or not.

With the old MSDS it would say " Hazardous substance" or "dangerous good" or not hazardous etc. I've been printing out some labels from Chemffx and have noticed that the old style MSDS may say hazardous, but the GHS SDS does not state explicitly but may give hazard phrases and/or risk statements and /or pictograms. In some cases the old MSDS says " not hazardous", but the new form / label gives hazards and/or pictograms.
eg paraffin oils by the MSDS is non hazardous, by the SDS/GHS label it is a toxic substance or irritant.
So I am in the position where the MSDS/ SDS may say the substance is not a problem, but the label says it is!
Help :(

Hope I've not confused everyone.
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Re: Hazardous, or not?

Post by AnnNos »

I'm having the same issues.

I've looked at some of the new SDS and seem to have to search through the document for the hazard statement. It's not nearly as obvious as the MSDS, where there was the statement at the front of the document. Also, many companies are still coming to terms with the new GHS and are just starting to bring out SDS. Some are only providing the hazard statement number.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I would say if one says hazardous and the other doesn't, then just go with hazardous for now. Better to play it safe... The only place I have heard of GHS is here on Chemtalk. When will we get some 'official' information is what I want to know!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Do'nt worry we are not alone. 8O :cry2: :crazy: If I could only get a straight answer, but alas I can not. Me thinks no one really knows, that what me thinks????????????????? :crazy: :coffee: :w00t: :redcard:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

Our head of science is also the WHS officer and came up to see me the other day after she'd been in a meeting to ask if I knew we were changing to the GHS. That was the first I'd heard of it outside chemtalk but she was glad to hear we are all aware of whats happening.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

ASET had a great day last year on this - up til then I had no idea it was coming.... there is info out there, but the ASET girls have it at their fingertips.