sulfuric acid storage

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

sulfuric acid storage

Post by superbug »

Hi everyone,
wot is the best container with a spout (tap) that doesnt leak to store sulfuric acid over 2L. I also need to know where to buy it from as well. As the bottles we have always seem to leak.
also any general large volume over 2 L with spout containers that can be recommended that also dont leak.

Thanks Heaps

Superbug!! :grin:
dime

Re: sulfuric acid storage

Post by dime »

Hydrochloric acid is the only chemical that we have that comes in over 2 litres. It comes in a 20 litre plastic drum with a tap on it. Now I think of it I always tip the drum up after use, so the tap sits on top of the drum, so it probably used to leak. This way all I have to do is tip the drum over so the tap is on the side in the right position when I need to use it.
If you had some spare winchester bottles, you could perhaps decant your chemicals into bottles and get rid of the drums with taps that leak. My sulfuric acid is in a winchester bottle.
Cheers
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Dime,
Sorry these are solutions that I have had to make up in larger quantities. It would be nice to have a spout to easily decant the amount of sulfuric acid required.
The HCl is not an issue for leaks as we get them in bottles with 32% conc.
Thanks Cheers

Superbug
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Do you know anyone with 4WD that changes their own oil
Penrite oil comes in 10 L containers with tap under lid
I would not use for conc. in them, but for decanting into many bottles for prac exam I would not be with out them
The only problem is they are solid black and you can't see the level
LabMad
Suburb: South West Sydney

Post by LabMad »

I don't know if it would be suitable but the self-serve car washes have leftover 10-20Lt clear plastic bottles that they seem to pile up. I don't know if they would have taps on them, it would be something that you'd have to check out
Lab Madness
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I could not see a problem with 2M or less.
Even if they don't have the taps you can buy them from Bunnings providing they have provision for taps