Labcoats

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Labcoats

Post by vlclabbie »

Hey everyone, I hope you're all having a nice end to work or if you have already :party:

We have just made all the students buy their own safety glasses this year & the topic came up about lab coats?

How many of you have students with their own? Would be great for finances, OH&S, less washing, etc...

Thanks!

Kel
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Labcoats

Post by fibreweb »

We have trouble getting some of the kids to even bring a pen and their books to lessons, we would have no hope getting them to remember lab coats and goggles.Let alone buying them.
Actually we don't have any lab coats for students at all.
There is a class set of goggles in each lab.
Wendy
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Same here Wendy!
Cant believe that students would come to school not prepared!!! With at least a pencil.
So lucky we have the 200 odd from the last 3 years of ESSA, and we give them a pencil ( they have to give it back)

And the kids don't have lab coats - just a class set of goggles in each room. Without lab coats you sometimes do have a spill, eg one boy thought it was fun to throw kidney off cutss :redcard: i went off...teacher didn't do much!
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

We're the same - goggles only.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Same here just goggles
dime

Post by dime »

Yeah, same here only goggles provided. In Home science they are supposed to bring their aprons, but they don't. They also paint in art classes without an overshirt, so why worry about a few misguided kidney pieces. :oops:
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

We are the same...no lab coats & we have class sets of goggles. I get sick of supplying pens,pencils,glue & scissors !!! :yuck: I don't think we should supply these things. I can't understand how the kids can show up without them. :redcard:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

We have just bought a class set of lab coats for our seniors to use, and I was wondering for those who have them, how do you store them? I was thinking of a portable wardrobe, maybe too ambitious :giggle: or a tub, trolley? I know I will forever be cleaning them and sorting, folding etc \:D/ :-({|=
glenpaul

Post by glenpaul »

Hi. Only our senior students have lab coats and they have to purchase them from us at the begining of yr11. ( no lab work until the coat is purchased) Their coats are kept on a trolley in the prep room and they come and get them when needed. They are totally responsible for the care of their coat for the 2 years and then they take it when they leave.
We supply them with goggles for the 2 years and they put their name on them and they are stored in a box in the prep room and we put the box for the class on the trolley with the prac.
Yr 7-10 goggles are supplied and stay in the prep room and go in boxes of 30 with every prac when it leaves the prep room. We supply alcohol wipes with each box of goggles so students can wipe over the goggles they are to use at any time. We wash all the goggles at the end of each term. We keep 150 on the go plus overglasses for students who wear glasses.
This system works for us.
Glenis
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

We have a bar attached to the wall in each lab and coat hangers. The labcoats get washed at the end of each term. I have a box of old lab coats which I pull out for really messy pracs, or dissections, and then they can be washed straight away.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I have just brought 10 new lab coats for the Seniors only they will hang in my prep room
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We have bought the heavy duty PVC aprons - and have a class set in 3 of the four prep rooms.
Safety glasses - we gave up on expecting the students to bbring them in - so in each classroom we have a class set in a basket and a lidded bucket with 20% methylated Spirits. The students drop the glasses into the bucket after they use them, then the teacher puts them back into the basket to drain and dry.WORKS!
As to students not being prepared- depends on your client base : A fair percentage of ours come from families where expenditure on school items is the last thing they think of -there are other more addictive necessities to buy! We have them arrive on the first day of the year with nothing. I am always passing out biros and rulers and pencils. I have a box of sticky tape staplers and glue sticks in every room.
With the computer runout to schools and students we have even had parents ringing up wanting the CASH instead of the computer! So far we haven't had any 'lost' to the local pub market, but only because the teachers keep strict eye on this.