RiskAssess software

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Re: RiskAssess software

Post by nickyw »

It was my understanding that teachers must do all of their own Risk assessments because they have to include the risk of each class and individual students. For example some of my teachers will allow scalpels with particular classess and "NOT, no way, ever" with other classess and a risk assessment is completed accordingly.

Us labbies have no way of knowing that and I really think it is the teachers responsibility and not ours to do this rather simple but very important task. They need to stop whinging and just get on with it, it is a legal requirement and part of their job as a science teacher.

My motto no risk assessment no prac. Its that simple.
fiona
State/Location: VIC

Post by fiona »

I'd love to make that my motto, but my biggest offender is the Head of Science. She will regularly think "A demonstration would be great here. I think I'll just go through all the cupboards, use any chemicals and leave them sitting out to confuse my poor lab tech"
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville
State/Location: NSW

Post by Xenon »

We've been using Pearson's and our own RAs. New HOD wants to switch to RiskAssess. Still a thumbs-up for this software? Any bugs I should know about?
:unsure:
Xe, SD, KOPR
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Yep definately :thumbup: , try the free trial if you are still unsure. Havent found any glitches, only some equipment has different/alternate name to what I use, and I have to search for it 8-)

Lisa :clap3:
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville

Risk Assessments

Post by agregory »

Hi everyone,

Can someone let me know which Aus Standard or other guideline states that Risk Assessments should be done for each prac? We are struggling to get teachers to do RAs for each prac each time that they are done. At the moment we have a RA for eg Year 9 Term 2 "Kitchen Chemistry" and this RA covers all the pracs done that term for that unit. It is then just saved again next year into that year's folder to be used again year after year. We are 99% certain that teachers don't even read it, let alone sign it!

HELP!!!
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Are you aware of the CARA - Curriculum Activity Risk Assessments that has been brought in by Ed Qld. These can be filled out for the whole year, a blanket Risk Assessment for science, if that makes sense. There are about 6-7 to fill out and save to G: drive.

We do this BUT also I get the teachers to fill out our own RA for every prac so that they have actually thought about what they will be doing in the classroom eg. using 5M HCL etc.

If you need further information I would contact Stuart Barrett the regional WH&S person for Townsville Ed qld
Senior Organisational Health & Safety Officer
Stuart Barrett
Phone: 4726 3135
Mobile: 0427 119 179
The teachers and I have had a training session with him in regards to doing RA and he was very good and explained the consequenses of not having done a RA. A bit of a scare tactic for the teachers but worked a treat. Now they dont get a prac unless it has a RA attached.

If you need any more help give me a call I'm at Town High 47218777.
agregory
Suburb: Townsville

Post by agregory »

Hi Nickyw,

We are a Catholic school so don't have CARA :-(
judyjolly

Post by judyjolly »

Hi Krysia
We have had risk assess software since beginning of this year after recommendation from another labbie.
The younger teachers have taken to it like ducks to water, while the oldies are reluctant to varying degrees.
I love it, as it replaces bits of paper that can be lost, that sometimes are illegible. Also I just have to log in and go to the calender to see exactly what experiments are on for today, tomorrow, one week ahead or 4 weeks ahead. Its being fine-tuned all the time.
Even if its decided definitely that we dont have to do risk assessments on absolutely every activity, the software is so useful as far as ordering and scheduling goes.
I have not looked into the risk rating matrix with the link on the site. I think the school has to choose between 2 or 3 options.
Judy
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi Judy
We've been using the risk assess software for a couple of terms and I love it. As you say having a lab schedule to check on is fantastic. I haven't had any complaints from the teachers except when they've put in a wrong date. I then remind them that that is not actually a problem with the software. The new version that came out recently includes a risk classification in the signature section so its great.
Krysia
superbug

risk assessment online

Post by superbug »

Hi Everyone,

We are currently using an online risk assessment for the teachers practical lessons

http://www.riskassess.com.au/

I was wondering if any one else uses this service or any thoughts suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Superbug \:D/
anju thomas
Job Title: Lab Technician
Suburb: Liverpool

Re: risk assessment online

Post by anju thomas »

We have introduced this program at the beginning of this year and the teachers here just loves it. The best thing is, it shows the time and date the prac has been ordered so no last minute requests anymore..... =D> \:D/
Cheers,
Anju
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Do a search for riskassess because this has been discussed before. We use it here and I love it. It does take some time in setting it up the first year, but once all the pracs have been done for the first time it is soooooo easy to request them again the next year! Easy to make alterations as well. And yes, I like the date and time log as well.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

Are there any Lab staff from SA schools on Chemtalk who us RiskAssess?
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot