Fume cupboard in prep room

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

Fume cupboard in prep room

Post by superbug »

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if everyone has a fume cupboard in there prep room!!!???? As I dont!
Is there any law to state we need to have a fume cupboard in the prep room especially when I dont have any access to fresh air via a window or door.
I am expected to use, when available, the fume cupboard in the classroom. There are no powerpoints in these fume cupboard, is this normal or does everyone else have power points in there fume cupboards.
I am new to this job but i was told there used to be a fume cupboard in the prep room however the previous labbie agreed to have it removed to allow for more bench space. GRRRR

Thus are there any laws or requirements that i can use to justify my case to the WHS committee meeting next week.

Thanks
Superbug
Whspa

Re: Fume cupboard in prep room

Post by Whspa »

I have six labs and four prep rooms. None of my prep rooms have a fume hood. Two labs have a simple fume hood without power or gas, two have full fume hoods with water, gas and power, two have nothing. The best fume hoods are the furtherest away from the chem store, in labs with desks at the front and benches at the back, and on the far side of the lab from their preprooms. Not well thought out and certainly not convenient for me.
lada

Post by lada »

We have four labs here with two prep room and only one lab has a fume hood, but its a state of art fume hood. Fits 3 groups of 2 students ( 6 students). I have to use it for making solutions and it is a pain in ..., but at least it is next door. I use it when lab is empty, but thats not always possible .I try to use it at lunch times
Lada
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

We have a double-sided fume cabinet, with access from Prep Room and Lab 1 (on other side of the wall).
Xe, SD, KOPR
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Xenon,
We had 2 X double sided in the prep room and classrooms. However they both got closed off on the prep room side, as the motor wasnt strong enough for both sides.
So now I have none, but a lot of bench space.

Superbug
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

What a variety of situations we find ourselves in! Here we have 7 labs in three different buildings and just 2 fume cupboards. The are both double sided but both in the same prep room, into two different labs. Fortunately they are in close proximity to the chem store. One is higher than the other, so I use the lower of the two which is lucky as it is much easier to use too. The other requires resetting of the clock every time we have a power failure / interruption etc which happens frequently enough here that I don't ever reset it until it is needed!
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Hi All
Our prep room shares a fume cupboard with a lab - cupboard is a bit noisey when it is on - teacher will not allow fume cupboard on when she is in class. We have to prepare chemicals in recess or lunch times as lab is always occupied
Adrianna