Holidays

for anything else that doesn't fit.
JudyM
State/Location: NSW

Holidays

Post by JudyM »

How many of us work during the school holidays.Please take the time to complete the poll. :?:
Robb

Work During Holidays

Post by Robb »

Hi Judy,

I am currently working on a few things at the moment. As I visit this site for some respite.

I do a lot of work during the holidays and I do occasionally go to school as well. (This is not a problem as I live only 7mins from school). I usually take my family in as well as they like to see where I work. This allows to gather resources where needed whereas at home you can only work to a certain extent. (I only do this if I have the time).

But a lot of holiday time is spent in front of the computer with a lot of audible tapping coming from the keyboard.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
debh
State/Location: SA

work in holidays

Post by debh »

Not anymore that we no longer have fish axoltyls etc
Tricia

Re: Holidays

Post by Tricia »

Hello everyone
In the public school system in NSW we work a thirty one and a quarter hour week during the school terms. We don't work in the holidays as we are paid stand down pay. Some school assistants may go in the do some work but I think they're crazy.
Have a good break everyone!
Regards, Tricia.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

I may pop in to cast an eye over our fish tanks but other than that I'm out of here!!!!!! \:D/
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I just come in a couple of times over the few weeks hols to check on the fish...check the pH is still ok, give a quick feed & pop in another holiday block. Also water the plants.

We dont get paid for the Easter, Winter or September hols, ( ie the stand down clause). In the summer, we get paid for 4 weeks annual leave.

We get paid for , and work, for 40 weeks work
and 4 paid weeks annual leave. As per the NSW award

We dont work, nor get paid, for 8 weeks of the year. :coffee:
We are at present averaged out in our pays, so we get a lesser amount more evenly spread over the year.
Who of us work in the hols? Is that by choice?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I agree with Richard & Tricia, not paid for it, so I can use my time else where.

NO

Wishing you all a happy & warm holiday
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Do not come in during any of the school holidays :coffee: . Our head teacher does the fish and plants during the holidays. As I have a fmaily and a life \:D/ I dont seem to miss work during these times. I feel sorry for those that have to go to work during the holidays although you would get alot done with no students at school so it sould have a few advantages - but I would rather two weeks spent wiht my family.

Happy Holidays :cheesy:
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Get 4 weeks annual/recreation leave a year here in Tassie, come in during the term holidays unless I take some of the 4 weeks leave although I get paid for being in at work and do get a fair bit done without the students and teachers around
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

In the State system in Victoria we can only be asked to work up to 6 days during the holidays. These have to be with the agreement of both school and staff member. They can also be only be worked at the start or end of each holiday but not spread over all holidays. They usually occur at the beginning of the year before school starts back. We are paid on a 48/52 costing working 38 hour weeks.
Sometimes I have worked, at my choice, to collect mice from the supplier, or wood shavings from the timber merchant. I can then take time off, equal to that worked, at some other stage. Therefore 'time in lieu' is very much a part of Victorian schools, whether it be used in the administration (office) area or elsewhere.
Maree
Voice

Post by Voice »

In the State system in Victoria we can only be asked to work up to 6 days during the holidays. These have to be with the agreement of both school and staff member. They can also be only be worked at the start or end of each holiday but not spread over all holidays. They usually occur at the beginning of the year before school starts back. We are paid on a 48/52 costing working 38 hour weeks.
Sometimes I have worked, at my choice, to collect mice from the supplier, or wood shavings from the timber merchant. I can then take time off, equal to that worked, at some other stage. Therefore 'time in lieu' is very much a part of Victorian schools, whether it be used in the administration (office) area or elsewhere.
Maree
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Maree, You mentioned that you have 48/52 costing. I'm not sure what that is.
Averaging?
and Patricia, you said that you recieved stand down pay. How does that work?
me
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Post by me »

Hi Judy,
I don't work any holidays. I would like to come in for a couple of days just to sort things that I don't get to do during term but only if I could have days in lieu.... Maybe next holidays!!!
Tracey
Voice

Post by Voice »

Hi Barbara,
We have different rates of pay for our staff in Victoria. If one works 52/52, that means that person is only entitled to four weeks annual leave and must work through the holidays, etc.. If one works 48/52, that person gets the holidays as stated in my earlier post, and gets paid a total of 48/52 rate over the year. That rate though is divided by 52 to give an equal amount each week. Thus, someone on 52/52 works 5-6 weeks longer for 4 weeks more pay! When you have a family, the best thing about the job is the holidays you can have with your children. That's why I took the job in the first place.
Maree
:-) :-) :-) :-)
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Thanks for explaining that Maree,
makes sense.
The time off at hols to spend with the kids, was also the reason that I applied for a school job. It has worked out well for many of us. \:D/
rell

Post by rell »

Happy Holidays to everyone =D> \:D/ :D
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

I only work one week of the school holidays (the week before we start for the year) so I work 41 weeks out of 52 and my pay is spread out over the 52 weeks. I, like many other parents, took this job because of the holidays and being able to finish at 3:00 every day. I receive a part pension as a sole parent as even the government doesn't think I earn enough to survive on and I also receive substantial maintenance from my ex husband. However, once my children finish school (and all supplement earnings stop) I will be looking for new employment as I wont be able to survive on this wage. I love the job and especially the hours but unfortunately there is no prospect of career improvement within the education department.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I come in during the holidays to feed the fish and check the filters are still working etc. there are 14 tanks. I usually have an idea of how much time it takes and then next term I leave work one day early to make up for it.
Estelle
Rita

Post by Rita »

Hi Everyone
All new staff here (lab, office) over the last 2 years work all year round with 4 weeks leave at Christmas. This is a catholic school in NSW.
Enjoy your break or uninterrupted work as the case may be!
Rita