Disposal of Chemicals

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Sam
State/Location: NT

Disposal of Chemicals

Post by Sam »

I know that we need to use disposal companies when disposing of large amounts of chemical.

However for small amounts of different chemicals i dont know what can and can not go down the sink (with LOTS of water following).

I need a list or a national or state/territory standard were these things are delt with.

?????Please help??????
ri
State/Location: NSW

disposal of chemicals

Post by ri »

Hi Sam,
the NT may have different standards but I can fax/email you the Sydney standards from the Chemical Safety in Schools package we work with here?
Cheers,
~Robyn
oxyjen

disposal of chemicals

Post by oxyjen »

Hi, I find that the chemical safety in schools document is so handy eg. sodium hydroxide disposal is recycle where possible, consult manufacturer for recycle options; consult state land waste disposal authority; treat and neutralise with a dilute acid at an efflent treatment plant. The document is produced by the NSW Department of Education and Training. :-)
m

Re: Disposal of Chemicals

Post by m »

Hi all

I was reading through the SCIS Appendix E: Disposal of waste chemicals and on page 7 it states that the DET will arrange statewide chemical collections for government schools every three years.

Does anyone know who or which department to contact to enquire about the next pick up?

thanks all
maria
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

hi

I can fax you the QLD Method of Disposal reuqirements if you need.

Cheers Nicky
m

Post by m »

That would be great Nicky

My fax is 02)4271 6626

thanks heaps
Maria
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

The last free pick up in NSW I believe was in 2000. Our school has not had one since. We had to pay to have ours removed 2005 after a good clear out we had. I now have even more, but will late a year or two if I can, just incase their is a free one going. I really would not hold your breath.

Good Luck
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hey Maria

I faxed it through Monday morning. Let me know if you dont get it.

Cheers Nicky =D>
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

I have had my principle follow this up and the response he got is that a chemical pickup will be arranged to coincide with the release of the updated CSIS package this year - so here's hoping it will be sooner rather than later as half my storeroom is dedicated to waste chemicals.
Dee