soil pH meter

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

soil pH meter

Post by Kathryn »

Hi everyone

I need to purchase another soil pH meter. We currently have a Kelway meter which I don't think is particularly user friendly. Does anyone have a suggestion for an easier meter to use?
Thanks
Kathryn :D
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: soil pH meter

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have a Hanna Instruments pH meter. It is no harder/easier to use than the ones I have used in the past (in the nursery industry). The calibration is the trickiest thing to work out, but it should be done each day it is used. This brand is usually pretty reliable and reasonably priced.
Do you have any data loggers? We have the Vernier Labquest data loggers and the pH meter probes for these are pretty easy to use. This could also be an option. Avoid the metal pH soil test probes that you can pick up at garden centres and hardware stores, they are really unreliable. Universal Indicator and Barium Sulfate is a better option for testing soil than these things but won't give you the accuracy of a pH meter.