GHS Labeling

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: GHS Labeling

Post by macca »

ELIZABETH wrote:See you later Chemwatch!!!!
Me too couldn't be happier.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

RiskAssess GHS labelling much easier to use than Chemwatch; just enter chemical name, choose label size (choice of 4), choose solid or solution; if the latter, enter molarity then download and print.
Xe, SD, KOPR
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

It is time to celebrate! The labels look good with the right amount of information. Now I have to start re-labelling.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Unfortunately I do not have access to Riskassess atm. I'm feeling very frustrated and wasting so much time trying to do labels.
di-SODIUM HYDROGEN ORTHOPHOSPHATE on Chemwatch this is described as hazardous with a signal word of Warning.
On the Chemsupply site it is described as non hazardous and no signal word required.
I have found this so often with Chemwatch that they go over the top with there warnings. What do you suggest for labelling both for the original container and for dropper bottles of 0.1M?
Kathryn
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I can't seem to upload the risk assess file for the label but here it is (minus formatting) :

Sodium hydrogen phosphate
Na2HPO4(aq)
0.1 mol/L
Not classified as a hazardous chemical according to GHS

Well worth trying to get your school to pay for it for the labels alone. It is very cheap. I'm pretty sure we pay $250 a year.
Last edited by linotas on 30 May 2016, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Xenon wrote:RiskAssess GHS labelling much easier to use than Chemwatch; just enter chemical name, choose label size (choice of 4), choose solid or solution; if the latter, enter molarity then download and print.
Sounds great xenon.

Would love to see some samples of the new labels.
Curious though about not being prompted for manufacturer info ...I thought that was a GHS requirement :-?
linotas

Post by linotas »

Would love to see some samples of the new labels.
Curious though about not being prompted for manufacturer info ...I thought that was a GHS requirement :-?
Manufacturers info is not a minimum requirement on aliquot labels, only on the original containers for the chemicals
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Thanks linotas.
:-)
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Kathryn wrote:Unfortunately I do not have access to Riskassess atm. I'm feeling very frustrated and wasting so much time trying to do labels.
di-SODIUM HYDROGEN ORTHOPHOSPHATE on Chemwatch this is described as hazardous with a signal word of Warning.
On the Chemsupply site it is described as non hazardous and no signal word required.
I have found this so often with Chemwatch that they go over the top with there warnings. What do you suggest for labelling both for the original container and for dropper bottles of 0.1M?
Kathryn
Hi Kathryn
When in doubt, refer to the manufacturer's safety data sheet, not the Chemwatch produced one. The legislation requires us to have, and use, a copy of the manufacturer's SDS, not one from a third party. If the manufacturer no longer exists, you can substitute with a similar product from another supplier if you are sure the ingredients are the same - not a problem for pure chemicals but can be a problem for, say, a cleaning product.

Definitely ask about signing up for Riskassess. We paid $160 last year for 12 months. It is going up a bit, but not much considering what they are now providing.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

linotas wrote:Manufacturers info is not a minimum requirement on aliquot labels, only on the original containers for the chemicals
Cheers for that linotas. ...and thanks for showing the Label . Curious if the real label has subscripts in Chem formula
linotas

Post by linotas »

Yes they do. I can email you a PDF if you want. Chamtalk keeps giving me an error if I try and upload. Large labels also have risk phrases. I have just spent the last couple of hours printing (and saving) out labels (mostly small size for dropper bottles). I am really liking them.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

So happy about these labels. I now can get started on re-labelling knowing that what I am doing has the right information. If you are planning on copying the label design, you must be really careful about your source information. You might get the layout right, but you could have the wrong information. It was why I gave up on Chemwatch (which I'm sure is a great resource for industries and big corporations, but not designed for schools) as there was too many conflicting listings. To have a headache-free process is worth the subscription to Riskassess on it's own.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

All we need now is Philip to set it up with a Chemical register and we'll be set. Might be worth mentioning.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks for the copy of the labels Linotas :thumbup: ....they sure are nice looking .....bold , simple and easy to read .

So just to clarify , these labels are fine for the classroom .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

There is a draft copy of a chemical register in the Learning Resources section on Riskassess. It is in a spreadsheet format. I ditched the "other" on-line register as I found it just too difficult to use and moved over to a spreadsheet. I can add whatever I want to it, I can make it look however I want it to look AND I can call items by what I want to call them, not what a data base wants to call them.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

Merilyn1 wrote: Hi Kathryn
When in doubt, refer to the manufacturer's safety data sheet, not the Chemwatch produced one. The legislation requires us to have, and use, a copy of the manufacturer's SDS, not one from a third party. If the manufacturer no longer exists, you can substitute with a similar product from another supplier if you are sure the ingredients are the same - not a problem for pure chemicals but can be a problem for, say, a cleaning product.

Definitely ask about signing up for Riskassess. We paid $160 last year for 12 months. It is going up a bit, but not much considering what they are now providing.
I wonder what to do with dilutions though. Chemwatch says that 2M HCl is hazardous and should have the GHS signal word "WARNING". But on Riskassess it is non hazardous. As we make the solution ourselves there is no manufacturers SDS to check. How do we know which to go with?
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

We subscribe to Riskassess, so I rely on their information over Chemwatch's. I've found adopting this approach has given me the less number of headaches! If you were someone who didn't have access to Riskassess, I guess you would have to use what your school has paid for or find a SDS with equivalent concentration. In the long run, it is better to go overboard with the hazard rating than being too low.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I love, love, love the new Risk Assess labels!!! :wub: :wub: I'm starting on my dropper bottles today. I had a couple of questions and Phillip Crisp got back to me straight away with the answer. :clap3:
If your school doesn't subscribe, I highly recommend that you push for it. Well worth the money IMHO.
When it comes to dilutions I have been checking CSIS and Risk Assess and so far they agree with each other. If in doubt, I would go with the higher risk just in case...

Mel
linotas

Post by linotas »

I'm pretty sure Philip said at the PD I attended that all their data on solutions is taken from the gold standard document from here:

European Chemicals Agency "Classification and Labelling Inventory"
http://echa.europa.eu/information-on-ch ... y-database

It's basically a database of all hazardous chemicals and at what concentration their hazards kick in and to what degree. RA has tabulated all the data so that when you put a certain concentration in, it extracts the correct risk...unlike Chemwatch which relies on extracting the data from the pure chemicals sds or data entry from a user.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

At the same time as relabelling solutions I have been trying to relabel some of the original bottles. I have managed to get a trial of Riskassess so I can see what you are all raving about. However, look at the difference between the labels for Silver nitrate (they both had the pictograms):

Chemwatch label

DANGER
SILVER NITRATE
May intensify fire
oxidiser.
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
Hazard Codes: H272; H314; H410
GHS Codes

Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking.; Take any precaution to avoid mixing with combustibles/organic material.; Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray.; Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.; Avoid release to the environment.; IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting.; IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower.; IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.; Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician.; Specific treatment (see advice on this label).; In case of fire: Use alcohol resistant foam or fine spray/water fog for extinction.; Store locked up.; Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local regulations.; See SDS for full list of P phrases

Risk Assess Label

DANGER
Silver nitrate
AgNO3
May intensify fire; oxidiser
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting
Effects

That is a huge difference in the amount of information. I have already done most of our solutions and have included as much info as I can while still being able to read it. I am especially surprised that according to Riskassess that even on original containers we don't have to include H codes and safety advice.

Kathryn (even more confused) :oops: