Digital microscope cameras

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Digital microscope cameras

Post by Milo »

We've got some money approved for capital items (woohoo!) and I'm trying to decide on a digital eyepiece for microscopes. I've seen them between $200 and $1200 depending on how many megapixels they do (1.3, 3, 5, or 10), so what do other schools have? How many megapixels is good enough, especially for putting an image through a projector, and how much is overkill? I don't want to spend too much if I can avoid it!
lfn
State/Location: NSW

Re: Digital microscope cameras

Post by lfn »

Hi Milo,
Last year I bought 5Mpixel digital microscope camera ($275) and it was really bad and such a waste of money. I think that would be better before buying them ask to demonstrate for you at school . I am trying to return those microscopes and asked them to bring camera with higher resolution . Probably this Friday they'll come to show me some type of cameras. If you want I can let you know after their demo. But don't go with cheap cameras because it doesn't work for you .
Also I bought 14Mpixel for $695 which is a really good digital microscope camera. I know it's expensive but it's worth it .
lfn
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

Thanks lfn, yes do let me know what you find out on Friday. Also can you tell me where you got the 14MP one from, that seems like a good price for that resolution.
lfn
State/Location: NSW

Post by lfn »

Sure , I'll let you know. I got 14MP from ISSCO. Just make sure that camera is compatible with your microscope you want to use. You can give info about your microscope and they will find out if suitable or not. But the best way is ask them to do some demo for you to make sure exactly what you need. Here is the info about that supplier:
www.issco.com.au
Phone: (02) 9743 2588
Email: sales@issco.com.au
Good Luck
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

If you are throwing the image straight to a Data projector then the resolution does not need to be very high .
Consider that most schools still have 600 x 800 resolution projectors ...that's just under 0.5 Mega pixals

Even a HD projector with a 1080 x 1920 resolution will be a fraction over 2 Mega pixals

I seriously doubt many schools would have 4K projectors but these are just over 8 Mega pixals

Where the Higher resolution cameras are useful is if you have software magnification or zoom . This allows you to zoom in on an area and still allow a reasonable picture before it becomes too pixelated to view . If you don't use or care about that then high resolution is wasted .

Also be aware that these USB type digital cameras need software to be installed on the teachers computers . Depends on how friendly the IT dept is . I know one who cracked the shits and refused .