Glass tubing

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Glass tubing

Post by J »

A quick distress call, having just cut myself while pushing glass tubing through a rubber stopper hole. (Not for the first time) :cry2:
The glass tubing that I have had in the cupboard for a couple of years - long enough that I can't remember where I bought it - is very poor quality and breaks in my hand when I try to push it through. Can anyone recommend the best source and size to buy? Need some more stoppers with holes, too, to go into conical flasks. When I look at what is available, there are too many to choose from and I know someone out there will be able to help. Please? [-o<
phillip o

Re: Glass tubing

Post by phillip o »

Have you tried using liquid soap or glycerine as a lubricant? Use a LARGE rag or towel to hold the tubing. It is hard to recommend tube sizes - it depends on what you are connecting at both ends e.g. side arm test tubes vary in the size of the arm.
J

Post by J »

Thank you, yes, I have tried lubricating the glass, it is just not up to the job.
The kind of thing I'll be doing with the glass is bending it for pasteur's experiment and setting it up with a stopper into a conical flask, or just straight through a stopper for a conical flask for expansion of liquids with Year 8. I can probably work out the size if someone could recommend a quality glass supplier.
Thanks
J
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Sorry, J, can't help with a supplier but a tip I learnt when trying to get tubing through a stopper is to use a slightly larger cork borer to push open the hole (if it is a pre-made hole in the stopper). Thread the tubing through the borer, then remove the borer. Alway wrap a thick cloth/towel around the tubing. If you're making the hole yourself, leave the borer in place and do the same thing.

I have been disappointed with the quality of items I've purchased recently. It is hard to know what you are going to get and usually painful to have to return the item.
J

Post by J »

Thanks for the tip, Merilyn
I'll give it a try when I get my new glass
J
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Oh J, hope you're ok!

I got a block of work for a labbie after she did a similar thing and was off work for a while.

I can't help with the supplier - mine is marked as from Q stores, so its been here a while.

With tubing for Pastueurs, I use clear tubing from the bunsens looped around, and a straight glass piece through the stopper into the flask.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Is there a reason it has to be glass? I use rigid PPE tubing because I have cut myself too many times before. I use the same trick as above with the cork borers....works a treat.
J

Post by J »

Thanks for the input, everyone, my hand is ok and don't have to have time off, but potentially could be a lot worse. I like the idea of the PPE tubing - hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a great solution - I'll give it a try.
me
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Post by me »

Serrata have what they call a "Hand Protector" it's for 8mm glass tubing . Code: 1011801 $14.50 + GST. I'm going to get one with my next order.
J

Post by J »

Thanks for that, Tracey, I'll check it out.
J

Post by J »

Tracey, I have sent you a PM.
J
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Make sure it's not soda glass that you are using and morning fresh the stopper rather than the glass maybe. And soaking the stoppers in hot water can make them more malleable.
J

Post by J »

Thanks everyone.
I have ordered some new glass tubing which I hope is better quality, and a hand protector. If I try all the tricks suggested, my hands should be safe!! :console: :console: